Inoperative Gauges

Bhobo23

Cadet
Been having issue with all my gauges not working. It is 2005 Chaparral Signature 260. All fuses are intact. Live 12 volt supply to ignition ok. Ignition on ok as well to the blue wire. But no 12 volt going to any of the gauges. Someone with similar experience or an expert can give advice what to check next? Thank you in advance.1000004343.jpg1000004342.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Blue wire is used for gauge lighting. Purple wire is power to gauges

With all gauges having issues, also check for a loose ground (black wire)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks like they are using yellow for grounds.

Bhobo23

Cadet
The ground is good which is the yellow wire. My mistake, yes with the blue wire is for gauges lights. I don't get 12 volt (purple) to gauges when I turn the ignition on. All the fuses are good that is located on top of the motor. Is their a relay/circuit breaker in between the ignition switch and gauges?, and if there is one where will it be? Spent more weekends so far trying to fix the issue than being out in the water. Any help very much appreciated.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
There should be a fuse for the gauges. My last boat, a Chaparral, had one. They make those wire harnesses pretty tight and a crappy / loose connection on a wire terminal is not unheard of.

alldodge

Staff member
Follow purple wire from key, to neutral safety then to every gauge and to motor

Wiring Helm.jpg

Bhobo23

Cadet
Had a chance to do more testing this weekend. The yellow wire with the red stripe to the ignition switch does not power up whether ignition on or off. Does that mean a bad ignition switch? Also when I supply 12 volt directly to purple wire to gauges I hear a buzzing sound coming from the engine Bay area. Do I have a short somewhere (noise) or open to purple wire (no power)? Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.
1000004520.jpg1000004524.jpg1000004522.jpg

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Buzzing sound is the fuel pump, if you have an electric one.

Does the red wire have power all the time? It should when battery switch is turned on. If not, bad circuit breaker back on the engine or bad wire / connection somewhere..

Put a meter / test light on the yellow wire and turn to start. No light=bad switch. Light comes on and nothing happens= bad start relay or starter solenoid.

Bhobo23

Cadet
Sorry for the questions. I am new to boating. The yellow with red stripe is for cranking power to starter. Thank you Scott and the wiring color you provided. I am at a loss as to why no 12 volt to purple wire and when I applied battery volts to gauges purple wire the fuel pump is activated and yet none of the gauges needle moves. All the fuses are good. Could not find any wire break all the way to fuse box.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Follow the purple wire from the gauges to the key switch. Most likely a fuse/circuit breaker or bad connection

flashback

Captain
Probably need to start cleaning up the connections. I would start at the ground block.