Inner transom plate

Andrew W

Cadet
Me being dumb, broke off the power steering bracket. I realize the engine needs to come out, and am curious what the shop time is for replacing an inner transom plate on a 2008 4.3gxi sx-a? It’s a freshwater boat with easy access and plenty of room.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Shop rate will vary from shop to shop between $100 an hour and $200 an hour.

The process will be remove the drive, pull the motor, pull the existing transom shield. Then re-install, align, etc.

and if anything goes awry, the time just goes up from there.

Andrew W

Cadet
Shop rate will vary from shop to shop between $100 an hour and $200 an hour.

The process will be remove the drive, pull the motor, pull the existing transom shield. Then re-install, align, etc.

and if anything goes awry, the time just goes up from there.
I guess my question is how many hours if all goes smooth?

Fun Times

Staff member
I guess my question is how many hours if all goes smooth?
Don't recall Volvo's nor can find a flat rate easily but I recall looking up a Merc one for someone and it suggests 5 hours.

228 Inner transom plate MT29 5.0 5.0 5.0

PS: Don't feel to bad on yourself as this same thing had happened to a fellow employee I was helping with one day.

Andrew W

Cadet
Thank you - hopefully Volvo’s are close to this. That’s not as bad as I thought. It was a horrible feeling picking up the piece and then seeing what broke off. Thought everything was aligned and it sure didn’t take much force to snap that off.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Thank you - hopefully Volvo’s are close to this. That’s not as bad as I thought.

If it's a 4.3 I'm guessing the boat is a smaller runabout? If so the 5 (ish) hour estimate/flat rate is close.

Only reason a shop would stray from flat rate on a job like that would be access issues involving removal of rear bench, engine cover, side panels, etc...

Once the drive and motor are off/out the boat the inner transom plate r and r is fairly easy/quick

Andrew W

Cadet
If it's a 4.3 I'm guessing the boat is a smaller runabout? If so the 5 (ish) hour estimate/flat rate is close.

Only reason a shop would stray from flat rate on a job like that would be access issues involving removal of rear bench, engine cover, side panels, etc...

Once the drive and motor are off/out the boat the inner transom plate r and r is fairly easy/quick
Thanks you are correct - 20 foot Regal, not much to come off, just the engine cover.

Andrew W

Cadet
Last question on this. Can someone confirm this is the correct shield? 2008 4.3gxi-j, 3869393 - transom plate part number: 21468120

Fun Times

Staff member
Last question on this. Can someone confirm this is the correct shield? 2008 4.3gxi-j, 3869393 - transom plate part number: 21468120
The only way to properly confirm a match would be having your transom shield assembly serial, and product numbers… yours is the engine product number

Andrew W

Cadet
The only way to properly confirm a match would be having your transom shield assembly serial, and product numbers… yours is the engine product number
Last shot at this before making a 3 hour round trip to the boat. On my buyers order, I’ve got these numbers:
Transom Model 4151180492, and Transom Serial# 3883710. Drive is an SX-A with 1.66 ratio with serial #3883602. Really appreciate the help.

Fun Times

Staff member
Last shot at this before making a 3 hour round trip to the boat. On my buyers order, I’ve got these numbers:
Transom Model 4151180492, and Transom Serial# 3883710. Drive is an SX-A with 1.66 ratio with serial #3883602. Really appreciate the help.
While the part number 21468120 you found might work as it's close number and letter wise to yours, technically speaking it doesn't match up with the within the fitment products of your actual transom designation numbers which yours is TSK SX-ALT42. The number you found seemed to fit a bit newer year wise that I saw in looking around.

Within the following links are 2 areas of where your part number found would fit other product numbers but not yours,

Your usable part number to match your fit product number TSK SX-ALT42 is 3854605 found within two different sites searching your actual number for you to look through and confirm if you desire to.

https://www.volvopentastore.com/Inner-Transom-Plate/dm/store_id.366--view_id.783168 = https://www.volvopentastore.com/Transmissions/dm/store_id.366--view_id.783167

https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0/part-sections/54171884 = https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0?serialnumber=4151180492

Andrew W

Cadet
Can’t thank you enough - really appreciate you taking the time to look it up. Thankfully this only set my boating season back a few weeks. Still can’t believe I did that.