inline 6 piston installation

Dwain B

Cadet
I am extremely new to this forum. I am getting ready to overhaul 115hp inline 6. Cannot locate ring compressors except thru dealer. Cost prohibitive as I am sure y'all well know. I think I read in one of your posts that it can be done without the ring compressors. Did I dream that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: inline 6 piston installation

What year?<br /><br />You can use wide tie wraps, tie wraps and beer cans... etc as makshift compressors.<br /><br />OR if it's a late model (top bolt type) one you can assemble the 6 pistons into the bores by hand and then hook up the rods one at a time.<br /><br />You can do that with an early one too if your arm is a human torque wrench. :D <br /><br />-W

Dwain B

Cadet

I am not sure of the year but it is a late model. It was the last year of the in-line 6 (so I am told). I bought the motor used in 1990. It has performed flawlessly but developed a knocking noise a few weeks ago. I bought a factory service manual and I think I am going to attempt an overhaul myself. One of my friends who is a decent outboard mechanic won't touch this engine (he says it requires too many special tools that he does not have available to him) but did tell me it is most likely due to a scored piston in the number one cylinder. To me, the knock sounds like a rod but who knows until you actually disassemble it. It started knocking after over-revving the engine while in neutral. Thank you for your guidance. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Clams Canino

Commander

The last year was 1988. If you have one from the mid-80's up, then you have the "new style" rods that use the 12pt socket. Those are easy to do one at a time.<br /><br />You will need a flywheel puller - or need to take it to get it pulled.<br /><br />-W (rebuilds inline 6's weekly)

Dwain B

Cadet

Thank you for your prompt response. I pulled the serial number and called a local dealer. He told me it was a 1986 model. He also advised I remove the AutoBlend oil injector. I hate that. That is a very convenient item. I do not believe the failure was due to the AutoBlend. He said if they rebuilt the motor it would have to come off in order to have a warranty on the engine. I have had the motor for 14 years with absolutely no malfuntions except one rectifier. The AutoBlend was one of the main reasons I bought the engine. My intentions were to use my manual and rebuild the AutoBlend when I rebuilt the engine. May I get your opinion on whether to keep it or not? Thank you for your gracious help.

Dwain B

Cadet

The dealer just called back...he said he made a mistake. It is a 1988 model. Thanks

Clams Canino

Commander

If you really wanna keep the autoblend, then just check it out to make sure it's OK. But pre-mixing is EASY too. Just dump in 1 quart of oil per 12 gallons of gas BEFORE you pump the gas in.<br /><br />If #1 failed you DO wanna check/replace the waterpump impeller though.<br /><br />What did the dealer want to rebuild it?<br /><br />-W

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

"He also advised I remove the AutoBlend oil injector. I hate that. That is a very convenient item. I do not believe the failure was due to the AutoBlend. He said if they rebuilt the motor it would have to come off in order to have a warranty on the engine."<br /><br />The main reason to get rid of the Autoblend is because there are no parts available from Mercury for it and it was notorious for failure. I would follow his advise and pre-mix the fuel.<br /><br />Good luck!

Dwain B

Cadet

If #1 failed you DO wanna check/replace the waterpump impeller though.<br /> I will replace it when I overhaul the engine. I also replaced it every year anyway...I always thought it was cheap insurance.<br /> You asked how much was he going to charge. They told me from $1825 to $3600...depending on what they found. Hence the reason I am going to rebuild it myself. I am a mechanic by trade but have never been into an outboard motor. That is the reason I popped the 70 bucks for a FACTORY service manual. I am glad I found this forum though. I appreciate people like you that don't mind helping others. Many thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br />dude<br /> listen to clams.<br /> we just have a minor thing with dingleberries :) )"_)<br /> but however, he seems to have some experience with the inline 6's. I have never seen one.<br /> the one thing I can tell you is if you use butter knives on the kitchen table do it while the wife is away. causes all kinds of nasties. never use the wife to compress the rings while you support the crank. trust me.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Clams Canino

Commander

Try getting caught with exhaust plates in the dishwasher. :D <br /><br />You can compress the rings by fingers using the one piston at a time method. Better than a wife.<br /><br />-W

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I use hose clamps.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty