%$*!ing 85hp Force Flywheel

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Guys, long time follower, first time poster...just wanted to say thanks for all the posts on the Force motors. I have started the rebuild on an 85 cuddy 1600 and was replacing the stator, well started on Monday, and just got the bit#h off last night . Took me 4 days of cussing, and swearing, before I finally pried that thing off. Would not have been able to do it had it not been for all the previous posts. Thanks again!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: %$*!ing 85hp Force Flywheel

I've got one that's stuck too!
Come on over and get mine apart.
We'll go fishing!!!You're #^*$#* welcome. Too!

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it just never ends with this flyweel...of course i dropped the key somewhere...spent the past hour looking for it with the old magnet on a string trick...never did find the damn thing...ohh well...off to the auto part store...hopefully they will have one that fits....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The ones in the auto store usually won't fit.You can get one that fits???Close isin't good enough.Get the right one!!!
F85498-1 Mercury part#

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AutoZone had a pack of like 6 different keys, one is AWFULLY close to the correct size, and when i mean close, its CLOSE...took another hour getting the flywheel back on after the key was installed...I'm not sure what problems could come from a close to OEM key? the key does not hold the flywheel in place, the nut on the shaft does, it just keeps it from spinning? correct?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It keeps it indexed at the right timing mark.
Any slop and the key can shear..
If it doesn't fit right it can spin and do SERIOUS damage to the end of the crank.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Hey dst87 post a linc to the e-bay site.I'd like to buy a couple.
boats . net has them about 3$ F85498-1 Mercury part#

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SOB....looks like i am pulling the flywheel off again...i am SURRREEE it'll be easier this time. I have a few days before my impeller kit gets here anyways...but it looks like that screw for my telltale is going to have to wait a few more days...

Jiggz

Captain

An undersized key will not work. Better off with a little bit over sized, and just file it to fit perfectly.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back At It.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fly.jpg
    Fly.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry about the pic size guys...was not paying attention

aquabob68

Cadet

i know the feeling i have a chrysler 55 hp that took 2 weeks to get flywheel off, prized up hit it with hammer and broke three pullers ended up using hydrolic puller to break it off plus had to sawz all the center steel nut off, not the way to do it but what i had to do was break it off, order new flywheel plus i tried soaking it in hydraulic fluid and heating it with torch....from the pic i can see u are pulling on the underside if it slips off it will bend the ring gear, it will not come off that way if it is stuck hard, you will prolly end up having to get another flywheel, all that just to check points and or coil, lol i been there, man... the puller u need fits in the three triangle threaded slots on top of flywheel but the aluminum flywheel threaded ports may not be strong enough to hold it i ended up like u in the pic trying to use that kinda puller to get it off but it broke too

aquabob68

Cadet

you got the puller on the ring gear it will bend it and you will get flywheel outta balance, get the right puller

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you got the puller on the ring gear it will bend it and you will get flywheel outta balance, get the right puller

The picture above was the third and final attempt at getting this thing off. believe me, it was not the way i wanted to do it, but the "correct" puller was not getting it done. I stripped the original bolts, drilled and re-tapped in 5/16, and proceeded to strip those, then you can see the broken tabs where i tried to pull it from the top of the flywheel, and that did not break loose, so finally i resorted to going underneath and that did the trick...it was not my first choice...believe me. ( i used heat and a 3lb hammer also )