Info on Marlin boat with OMC outdrive

Nicco

Cadet
Hello,<br /> I recently purchased a 18' 1984 Marlin open bow boat, I posted a question regarding the OMC outdrive and I recieved 1 response. Thank you to "Backfire" :) . Now I am wondering if any one has any info (Pro's & Con's)for the Marlin boat and the OMC outdrive. If I am asking in the wrong place please let me know and I will go to another message board, or site.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Info on Marlin boat with OMC outdrive

Fine boat. My friend has one and it is a solid boat and very reliable. The most major repair for the boat we did was to replace the rotted plywood on the engine cover.<br /><br />Bob

Homerr

Commander

Nicco,<br /><br />I used to build Marlin boats in the late 80's.<br /><br />I can try and answer your Q's. I may have good or bad news, depending on your question!<br /><br />Now that I'm tryiing to restore a boat of my own, I can really see the mistakes and shortcuts a boat manufacturer has done. (Sorry..not trying to scare you) Marlin made a darn tough boat in my opinion.<br /><br />Whats the model # of the boat? 188 Bowrider? <br />I'm trying to picture the boat in my mind.<br />Did it come with a Ford engine? I just don't know in that year.<br /><br />If it's an '84, then I didn't work on it. I didn't start building them unitl '87-'88.<br />However, their models didn't change too much.<br /><br />What do you need to know?<br /><br />H.

Nicco

Cadet

Bob_VT & Homerr, Thanks for replieing. <br />Homerr, <br />I am not sure what model the boat is. It has an open bow with seating, the hull seems to be a deep V. I am also not sure about the motor, it says it is a V-6 3.8 Liter, it is also painted blue, I seem to recall Ford painted their motors blue. The outdrive has a sticker on it that reads V-6, and a metal plate that reads OMC. Any more information you have would be greatly apprciated. If you have any ideas about the value I would appreciate that also.<br /><br />Thanks.

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kind of scratching my brain on the 3.8 but if I remember correctly that was a Buick V-6.

D

DJ

Nicco,<br /><br />That is indeed a Buick V-6. That would place the boat in the late seventies, perhaps earlier.<br /><br />Parts for the older OMC drives are getting scarce.