Info for Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Sorry I haven't been on the forum lately, but I'm enjoying all the winter work that I did to my boat and it has been worth the effort. <br /><br />Something that I would like to pass on to new boaters with I/O's is this. Prior to starting your engine please lower your outdrive at least half way. This will prolong the universal joints life a bunch. At my dock which is only about 100 feet from the ramp, only those experienced boaters are aware of this and you can hear those that don't know about this. When your hear loud clicking noise when your outdrive is up all the way, this is the sound of stress. It is only a matter of time and you will be replacing the universals. And by all means "Don't start your engine until it is in the water" just a few seconds is all it takes to melt the impeller. It might keep working, but it won't be pumping enough to do the job.<br /><br />Already have towed 3 newbies in to dock this past June. One was due to water pump failure because he started his engine up before having it in the water. Watched him from my dock and told my son that he was going to have problems later. Which he did. One was due to a siezed outdrive because he didn't check his lube in the outdrive and the other was due to a broken universal. Which he was one of those that liked running his engine with the outdrive up all the way.<br /><br />I hope this tip will help keep you in the water longer and free from problems in the future. Good Luck and remember do not operate your boat if you have been drinking.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Info for Newbies

Mayflower,<br /><br />You sure are right.<br /><br />I find it scaring that those points are not obvious to all. I mean, with just the smallest basic knowledge you'd imagine what goes on in there.. Compare those universal joints to the ones on a front-wheel driven car. Such cars never really can make tight turns because the manufacturer restricts them to make them last longer.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Man did I pull the ultimate boner a few weeks ago. Was getting ready to do some serious boating, so decided to fire up my MerCruiser V-8 in the driveway before heading to the lake. The piece of crap hose faucet malfunctioned and only delivered about 10% normal water pressure. End result? I smoked my water pump impeller. No, not just the impeller...but the whole frickin' water pump housing...top and bottom! And I only ran the engine for a minute...<br /><br />SS...you are sooo very correct in saying never run your engine (outboard, I/O etc) unless it's in the water. Ear muffs and garden hoses are fine...but take it from me...be sure you have adequate water flow! No kinked hoses, no screwy faucets, etc!!!!!<br /><br />Very wise advice...<br /><br />Walt

lemomo

Cadet

Thank you for the advice, what about if we pour water in a big garbage can and lower the outdrive in it, and keep adding water.

Status
Not open for further replies.