Inflatable tube seam repair ?'s

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Over the years we have accumulated many inflatables, most well over $400.00 I am careful and dry and put in totes in garage when not in use. I seem to have a problem with some of the seams cracking on two tubes. They are both "half pipes" one one person and one two. I have only used them 4 times each. The question I have is has anyone had any luck heat sealing the seams? I have tried glue and patches and to no avail. I even called the MFG and they told me they were no longer in production and they did not have any more tubes for them.. I spent over $800 on the pair and used in total 8 times.......FRUSTRATED!!!!!!

Thats $100 a ride, :target:
I was thinking about trying a heat gun or something but before I destroy them completely I was looking for other options, :frusty:

Rentaltux

Seaman
I had a few inflatables also that had various holes with some on seams. I could never bring myself to trash them. I found a product called Tear Aid which works like a bandaid. It uses no glue and can even be put on under water I believe. This stuff is amazing! I now keep a couple boxes on hand. A box on the boat for an instant repair. Here is a link if you are interested. I have seen it in various stores. You won't be disappointed!

http://www.tear-aid.com/

R

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have used an Airhead vinyl patch on a seam with some success (if the tear isn't too large). I applied the cement and then folded the patch over the seam. I then clamped the patch-sandwich between two pieces of wood. It made a tight, strong repair.

I've looked for ways to re-weld a seam, but I've never had any luck finding something.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks!!! going to try that tear aid, I have an extra "hot dog tube" with a hole in it I am going to experiment with re seaming. Keep you posted

Rentaltux

Seaman
I have even put Tear Aid over bad glue patches that leaked. It is at least worth a shot. I salvaged both of my old tubes that I couldn't patch successfully. I just like it because there is no glue. It is so quick and easy.