inflatable trim tabs

I have a zodiac FR 260 (8'6") with a 4 hp evinrude. It really planes SLOW, I have the max motor on it so my only other hope for faster plaining is to add a set of trim tabs. I see there is a brand from maxi marine called Lifters. has anyone used these or similar product. Any comments are welcomed.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: inflatable trim tabs

Your 4 hp Evinrude should be able plane your inflatable. How heavily do you usually have it loaded? Is the engine in top running condition and propped correctly? Do you have the correct shaft length for the transom? If everything checks out then I would probably look into a hydrofoil that bolts to your anti-ventilation plate, that should help you plane better. I wouldn't think that you have enough room for installation of smart tabs but if you do than that is a something to consider.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Again..ballon boats need more HP..not a planing type hull with a 4..

deejaycee_2000

Captain

the lifter works well .... but like scaaty says you need more hp, put a 15hp on at least ......

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can vouch for Nauticus Smart Tabs, Would'nt go without them!
I also agree that more power is required. A 9.9/15 hp JohnRude 2 stroke is a good match, or at least an 8hp. Inflatables take a good "grunt" to get them out of the hole, but not much for power once you are on plane.

Cheers,
Snow.

canuckcorsa

Recruit

I have a !0 and half foot inflatable from West Marine with a 4 stroke Yamaha 9.9. My problem is that at the isntant I start to plane I get gallons of water starting to pour over the transom. It appears to come "from below" almost vertically then hit the underside of the motor and then over the transom. On the advice of West Marine I put tabs on the plate abover the propellor but the impact was neglible
1) Will trim tabs on the transom stop the water coming over the transom?
2) I have heard over and over gain to check the shaft length but nowhere can I find out what it should be. Any ideas are most welcome (a boating newbie here!)

Thanks in advance
Bob

DaveHawkins

Seaman

15" measured from the cavitation plate to the inside of the motor mounting bracket.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like you have a 20 inch shaft where you need a 15 inch shaft. measure from where the motor sits on transom, to the flat plate just above the prop.

also start a new thread, this one is a year old. also start it in the inflatable forum. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277577

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Excesive Tail Water Splash

Excesive Tail Water Splash

I have a !0 and half foot inflatable from West Marine with a 4 stroke Yamaha 9.9. My problem is that at the isntant I start to plane I get gallons of water starting to pour over the transom. It appears to come "from below" almost vertically then hit the underside of the motor and then over the transom. On the advice of West Marine I put tabs on the plate abover the propellor but the impact was neglible
1) Will trim tabs on the transom stop the water coming over the transom?
2) I have heard over and over gain to check the shaft length but nowhere can I find out what it should be. Any ideas are most welcome (a boating newbie here!)

Thanks in advance
Bob

If you do not have the wrong lenght engine, that is a 20" instead of a 15", you are experimenting excesive water splash issues, because exceeding the factory recommmended min/max heights between the boats bottom to the anticavitation plate. Check your engine owners manual as a refference to see the recommended height. Used to have the same horrible problem with a Tohatsu 18 HP mounted on a 360 sib, check complete problem, this can help it it's your particular case.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23192

Happy Boating

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The Lifters from MaxiMarine work very well. I have a 12' Saturn Inflatable with a 15hp on it that took forever to plane with 3 people. Since in stalling the lifters, I can plane with 4 people and even tow two people on an inflatable behind the boat. The only con to the Lifters is increased bow steer, but it is worth it.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

The Lifters from MaxiMarine work very well. I have a 12' Saturn Inflatable with a 15hp on it that took forever to plane with 3 people. Since in stalling the lifters, I can plane with 4 people and even tow two people on an inflatable behind the boat. The only con to the Lifters is increased bow steer, but it is worth it.

Did you have a Doel Fin (or similar) on it?

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

jspringator, I did not originally have a Doel Fin on this, so unfortunately I cannot answer the eternal inflatable question about which is better. When I was deciding how I wanted to help plane my boat I looked at the pros and cons of each and ended up going with the lifters because I didn't want to drill into the cavitation plate of the outboard to install a fin and also the lifters came with a 60 day money back guarantee. What setup do you have that you are trying to work with?

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I have a fin on my 25 Rude and it pops up my light load quick. I couldn't use tabs because I installed wheels. I would like to start using my 6 hp with the Saturn because it is 25 pounds lighter, but I don't really want to spring for another set of fins. I was wondering if fins were absolutely necessary.

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

6hp is really low to power this boat. If it is only you, one gallon of gas and you weigh less than 130 lbs, 6hp might get you on a plane with the SD365. I'm doubting that this motor will get you on plane even with a planing device installed. Do you use your boat on calm bodies of water or wave conditions?

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

My next use will be in the ICW at Cortez/Anna Marie Island, Florida. Essentually the mouth of Tampa Bay. I guess I'll suck it up and take the 25.