Inflatable RIB for tubing and light 2 ski skiing - size & weight?

flemingdl

Recruit
Hi,
Really getting interested in a 3 to 7yr old or so RIB style (or ?) Inflatable for teen kids & I (all 150 lb's or less) to tube and even pull a two ski skier. Also wake boarding. For skiing i realize only two persons w/b in boat, & need a power prop.

What approx size and weight of boat is required for such? I presume at least 14', what is weight of such?
I also would think about 30hp is a minimum. What approx weight on such thats been around a few years?
Does wake boarding have similar boat requirements to two ski skiing for 150lb persons?
We are casual and be pleased with minimal performance.

Reason the weight a factor, is I have access to walk up type launch (free & no crowds) and picture carrying boat & motor separate frm car/trlr (on wheeled cart perhaps) assembling in the shallows, then Whalla, HAVE SOME FUN!
Thx for info

Don in Wa. state

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Inflatable RIB for tubing and light 2 ski skiing - size & weight?

Well...one big problem I think you'll find is the weight of the 4 stroke engines so you'll have to go with a 2 stroke. And even a 2 stoke 30 hp will weigh 100 pounds I'd say. My old Mariner 28 hp weighed 98 pounds.

My 12.5 foot boat weighs around 100 pounds. The floor boards weigh around 100 pounds. If you view the archives you'll find a host of members who quickly got trailers. I've remained a hold out for various reasons. If you view my profile and posts you'll see some of the crazy things I've done to get my boat and 160 pound outboard in the water. http://forums.iboats.com/member.php?u=257742

flemingdl

Recruit

Rather thought so, even the 30hp motor 2 stroke is a beast. So, if we resort to just tubing & knee boarding, what size boat/motor could we go down to for 150lb folks or less?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You'll need minimum a 14" sib or rib boat and minimum a 30 HP engine, a 2 strokes weights 10 Kg less than same 4 strokes version. If you have a 14" sib with a 2 strokes engine, you'll be around 140-145 Kg. A rib is heavier, a light 14" rib is around 165-170 Kg with engine, but depending on the brand and model could be heavier. Will need a trailer for a rib/engine combo, placing/retrieving engine alone will end breaking your back and visiting soon chiropractic centers. If still with good back and no problem manipulating a 52 Kg engine, go for a sib/engine combo.

Other option could be a 380 mt sib/rib with a 20 HP engine if skiing one at a time so to be just the driver + skiier without spotter. Hope you don't need a spotter, if so go for a 25 HP then. A rib performs much better than a sib comparing same lenght and HP size. I do not ski, but assume having 2 skiiers instead of one, will have double drag at hole shot. A matter to test the prop that comes standard factory delivered with that engine and re prop if needed.

Yes kneebording and tubing much less requirements as you have already both floating and with just initial pull drag, skiing and wakebording much more water drag untill on plane. That's why you need best hole shot, top prop performer.

Happy Boating

flemingdl

Recruit

Thanks, some great info, will be shopping the classif ad's next few weeks. Likely best deals after mid Sept. when summer winding down, will be set for next summer (seasons here in Wa. st.)
As for the spotter, thats the law here, so darn it is looking doubtful to have setup I can easily hand transport.

Still interested in more suggestions on light 2 stroke outboards and devices to handle the weight for getting from trailer to boat (100 yards..) and mounting in shallow, calm, sandy beach area

Wake boarding requirements similar to two ski skiing? Kneeboarding & tubing a good bit less am quite sure.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I had to contend with sand I would go with transom wheels and BeachMaster out of New Zealand would get my money...very heavy duty
http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/