Inflatable outboard power

Prin

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Seabo inflatable, purchased from Sam's Club. It is 8'4". It is rated for a six hp motor. I have a 4.5 motor that was given to me. With just me in the boat it will plane and go approx. 20 mph, if I sit in the middle. However, if I add anyone else (even light weights) it will not plane. My question is does anyone have a similar rig with a 6 hp? Will a six hp allow it to plane with two? I hate to spend 1300 on a motor if it will not do the job any better. Thoughts? Thanks,

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Inflatable outboard power

Hi, and welcome to iBoats :) ..... Yes a 6hp will get 2 people on plane, I have the same setup (slightly modified as always) I started with 6hp suzuki goes nice, and now gonna end up with a 70hp on it, just waiting for it to arrive, it's the same one as on my avatar, currently with a highly modified 30hp on ..... goes like hell ...

Prin

Seaman Apprentice

deejaycee_2000 said:
Hi, and welcome to iBoats :) ..... Yes a 6hp will get 2 people on plane, I have the same setup (slightly modified as always) I started with 6hp suzuki goes nice, and now gonna end up with a 70hp on it, just waiting for it to arrive, it's the same one as on my avatar, currently with a highly modified 30hp on ..... goes like hell ...

Prin

Seaman Apprentice

Prin said:
deejaycee_2000 said:

Thanks for the reply. You are going to put a 70 hp motor on an 8 foot dinghy???

Prin

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about the repeat. I am new to the forum and just learning procedures. I appreciate the many contributions boaters make. They have been very helpful. I have been boating for about 40 plus years, but this is my first downsizing to a dingy. Very different. I also have a larger runabout (21 Four Winns, 260 HP) put wanted to be able to go to some of the lakes with hp limits, etc. We also travel a great deal and I will be able to take the dingy in the RV. The maximum rating for the dingy is 6 hp so I don't think I want to exceed that. I appreaciate your input. Thanks again.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

no problem, the 6hp will be fine for 2 people for what you wanto do with it ..... i'm into the whole racing thing so my 2,6m inflatable has been totally modified with 'n strong transom, floorboards and highjackers ...... just thought I would share it with you ..... have fun and enjoy ....