Indmar Ford 351 Fuel Problems

pbookey

Cadet
Working with a 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190 with an Indmar Ford 351, Holley 4160 4bbl carb. There seems to be two problems, one of which I have solved. First problem (unsolved) is a starting problem. After sitting for a few minutes after having been run up to operating temperature for several minutes, the engine won't start without a little gas introduced down the carb barrel. Same problem when cold. The second problem was hesitation during quick acceleration of the throttle, which I have determined to be caused by zero action out of the accelerator pump. Any ideas on the first problem or are the two problems related somehow? This all comes after cleaning and rebuilding carb. Any help is much appreciated, I'm missing out on the last few weeks of waterskiing summer around here. Thanks, Pat

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Indmar Ford 351 Fuel Problems

Sounds like the accelerator pump in the carb has failed causing all your your problems. The accelerator pump is what squirts fuel into the manifold when the engine is cold and you pump the throttle to start it.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Indmar Ford 351 Fuel Problems

What he said. No accelerator pump action explains both issues rather neatly.