Indiana Revenue Deficits (Rant)

NYMINUTE

Captain
Our “new” governor Mitch Daniels has proposed an increase of $ 0.40 per pack tax on cigarettes to FIX the state deficit. Considering the deficit was created by overspending and abuse by the overpaid incompetent politicians, I have to wonder why attack smokers for the means to pay the bills? There are a multitude of STOP SMOKING campaigns in progress here and annually the media reports the percentage of smokers is declining. I wonder what Indiana would do if every smoker quit tomorrow! The revenue would be ZERO. What group will they attack next? Our northern neighbors (Michigan) drive here to buy their smokes because Michigan is already clobbering them. They will buy there when we equal their cost. <br />Ohio and Illinois as well. How important can these campaigns be to quit when the habit is financing governments big spending. It is NOT about health.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Indiana Revenue Deficits (Rant)

It isnt a tax, its a fee. :D <br /><br />They will ALWAYS find someway to get our money and spend it on their pet projects.<br /><br />They should all be ashamed.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> It isnt a tax, its a fee. :D
Funny you say that, our "Governor" Jim Doyle stumped in election time that he would not raise taxes. Funny thing is, he's raised the "Fees" on just about every license you can purchase...<br /><br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by eeboater:<br />
Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> It isnt a tax, its a fee. :D
Funny you say that, our "Governor" Jim Doyle stumped in election time that he would not raise taxes. Funny thing is, he's raised the "Fees" on just about every license you can purchase...<br /><br /> Reminds of Nelson Rockefeller in NYS years back. Called him Taxefeller. <br />Sean

D

DJ

Considering the deficit was created by overspending and abuse by the overpaid incompetent politicians,
That, you, as a "commoner" will never understand. :rolleyes: <br /><br />I always found it amazing that politicians call a "cut" in the budget not getting what they wanted. Even if it's more than they have ever used.

Tyme2fish

Commander

NYM As a fellow hoosier I feel your pain. I'm just 6 miles form KY so I buy cheap cigs over there.

Tyme2fish

Commander

NYM As a fellow hoosier I feel your pain. I'm just 6 miles form KY so I buy cheap cigs over there.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

NYM, you think your Governor is nuts, our new Leftwing controlled Washington State Legislature has just proposed a $2.40 PER PACK tax increase. These people need to be taken out back and flayed within an inch of their lives. :mad: And I don't even smoke.