Indiana (Movin' On Up) (rant)

NYMINUTE

Captain
Indiana legislators have labored long and hard to win passage of The Daylight Savings Time Act. They claim victory! After pushing aside less relevant issues such as Jobs, Increasing costs of darn near every consumer product, businesses<br />Defecting for southern states and off shore 3rd world countries, Teenage pregnancies, drug and child abuse, and a wheel barrow full of other non important items. These fine elected geniuses will make history when the economy of Indiana soars above the other 49 states (of which 48 observe DST) in revenues generated through an extra hour of daylight in the evening. Yes Hoosiers, our problems are behind us now. Money will be rolling in, burgers flying through the drive ups, Trucks, and SUV’s squealing out at the Dealerships, Wal-Mart will be hiring security to handle the crowds lined up at the entrance of every store. People will be “Moving on up” to bigger homes, which can’t be built fast enough. The ISTEP tests results will skyrocket to unheard of levels. All this because it stays light one hour later than it did in 2004 and before. <br /> Not So Fast Neighbors!! Before you quit your jobs, and sell your homes or break your leases and head for the Promised Land “Indiana” consider this. With the exception of Arizona, we were the only State in the Union that thought DST was “Not Such a Good Idea” for decades. I personally like DST being a NY native, but I fail to see where the economy will benefit. There are so many other areas in this state that need attention, but I guess those will be addressed by raising taxes. Meanwhile…….What time zone will we be?? Another hurdle for these overworked servants of society!

D

DJ

Re: Indiana (Movin' On Up) (rant)

Being in AZ, I understand it. We, AZ have never gone with the time change because it was STUPID. <br /><br />We're on the far western end of Mountain/Central and the far eastern end of Pacific. There are allot of miles out here. NOT, like Indiana.<br /><br />If we adpated either, we'd be going to work at what looks like noon and going home at what looks like midnight.<br /><br />I suffered with this, while in Michigan. Again, at the far end of Eastern. I hated it being dark at 4:00 PM. and ANY time that would be considered, at home time.<br /><br />Indiana is different in that they actually split the state.<br /><br />It looks to me like they "picked one", not bad, IMHO.<br /><br />It saves allot of confusion.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. <br /><br />Sounds like you are describing the disadvantages of standard time to me, DJ, or maybe MI winters.<br /><br />On DST, daylight arrives later and sunset arrives later.<br /><br />Here, for example (western portion of Central time zone) in May the sun comes up at 7 instead of 6 and goes down at 8:30-9 instead of 7:30-8.<br /><br />It doesn't make a lot of difference to me. . .I get up at about 5 and go to bed at 11:-midnight, but it makes a lot of difference to people who want to be outdoors after work or school to have what seems to them as an extra hour of daylight. That is an extra hour of "at home" time, not an hour less.<br /><br />It's also an extra hour of fishing time for those who fish places where they "close the gate" at sundown.<br /><br />On the other hand, I see no disadvantages of DST during those months when daylight arrives before the kids head for school.<br /><br />The power companies say that power usage in the evening hours drops a lot during DST.<br /><br />What is it that you guys REALLY object to, or do you just misunderstand what DST really does?<br /><br />I wouldn't mind DST year round. At least folks in the frozen North could get home from work before dark.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

That depends on how far up the Frozen North you are talking about JB.<br /><br />In the summer, we get 21.5 hours of daylight (give or take 5 minutes :D ) and they use DST up here.<br />In the winter our shortest day is about 4.5 hours of daylight.<br /><br />My work schedule has us working 12 hour shifts. We swap from dayshift to nightshift (or vice versa) every 3 months. If I am on nights in the winter and it is cloudy, gray and not sunny on my days off, wow do I get grouchy. I have gone almost 2 weeks without seeing any real sunshine.<br />Now in the summer, it don't matter when you work. You are putting heavy shades and liners over the windows to sleep. If you work days, you'll be outside drinking a beer with the neighbor and bbq'in. You look at your watch, out comes loud choice words. It'll be 11PM or so and full daylight. Even after 8 yrs plus it catches me all the time. That 4:30 AM alarm clock sure comes on early!!!!<br /><br />I wish this state would do away with DST. We only benefit from it for a month or less.<br /><br />AK Chappy

Kiwi Phil

Commander

In our State of Queensland, they had a full referendum on this subject, and the majority decided Daylight Savings Time was not good. Not only did the extra hour of daylight fade the curtains, it put the cows of their milking.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Bondo

Staff member

NYMINUTE,...... Just What do You have againest DST ?????<br /><br />Within the last couple of months,... I Explained to you about back when I was Trucking,+ the PROBLEMS CAUSED by the Fact that a couple of Counties Don't Change With the rest of the Country........... <br /><br />Believe it or Not,....... Your Economy has facets that Don't Involve You..........<br />I Lost Track of All the Evenings I sat in a T/S,... Because the Drop Off, CLOSED an HOUR BEFORE the rest of the Country........<br />Being Unproductive,+ LOOSING Money.................. :mad: <br /><br />Get Over It,.........<br />Yes,... It Really Will Be Better.........

JB

Hi, Chappy.<br /><br />Yes I am familiar with northern winters. Visited AK regularly during the 50s and lived several years in MN. I remember dawns at 11:00AM and sunsets at 3:30-4:00PM. I also remember dawns at 3:30AM and sunsets at 10:30-11:00PM<br /><br />I remember driving to work in the dark, spending the day in a building with no windows and then driving home in the dark. During those years I had to get treatment for SADD in the winter.<br /><br />I still don't see how DST presents a problem and don't understand why a few object to it.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> NYMINUTE,...... Just What do You have againest DST ?????<br /><br />Within the last couple of months,... I Explained to you about back when I was Trucking,+ the PROBLEMS CAUSED by the Fact that a couple of Counties Don't Change With the rest of the Country........... <br /><br />Believe it or Not,....... Your Economy has facets that Don't Involve You..........<br />I Lost Track of All the Evenings I sat in a T/S,... Because the Drop Off, CLOSED an HOUR BEFORE the rest of the Country........<br />Being Unproductive,+ LOOSING Money.................. :mad: <br /><br />Get Over It,.........<br />Yes,... It Really Will Be Better.........
Bondo, read again, I like DST. I simply fail to see where Indiana will become a economical giant as a result of it. They spent mega dollars to get this passed, yet nothing at all has been invested in the local, and state economy. DST will not attract business to Indiana or anywhere else.

Bondo

Staff member

No,.... I Agree.......<br /><br />But,... Just like i've stated in the SS plan thread,............<br /><br />Economies,+ Behaviors are Moved,+ Changed with Very Small Steps...................<br /><br />It WILL create, or atleast restore Economic Opportunities...........<br />And,..... In Time,.. It'll recoup the Expenses it took to convince people around you,... It's the Right Thing To Do..............

Stratosfied

Ensign

JB, I just don't get where all the energy savings will come from. Here in the deep south, the majority of our home energy costs are in the summer to cool the home. It seems to me that by increasing the daytime hours longer it would keep the AC runing longer, and yes, here you can run the AC, at least sometimes during each month of the year. Sometimes you will run the heat in the AM and the AC before the day is over. Maybe I'm missing something.

TilliamWe

Banned

NY, you guys should be in the Central Time Zone, but I am gonna guess that they put you in the Eastern time zone. Now all those People in Gary & Evansville that used to be on the same time as Chicago & IL, will be different & they'll be confused!

dolluper

Captain

The world revolves around daylight hours,just a fact more gets produced in daylight hours so how could more daylight hours hurt by more production

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> The world revolves around daylight hours,just a fact more gets produced in daylight hours so how could more daylight hours hurt by more production
Not So... This a 24/7/365 society now. Internet, Fax, Computer Phone ordering, and labor. Daylight work hours disappeared 20 years ago forever.

PW2

Commander

DST should work like the clocks in my car, VCR, Coffee maker, and every other appliance I own. They display the time when I originally set the clock..winter appliances are on standard, and summer appliances are on DST.<br /><br />And Michigan may not be too far north--Seattle is farther north than anywhere in Michigan, but having the school kids going to school in the dark is a bad idea, as is having them come home in the dark.

JB

Stratosfied.<br /><br />I am not sure, but I believe that it comes from people being outdoors longer and having lights in the house on for an hour less in the evening.

Realgun

Commander

I wish they would just stay on DST all year long.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

That is "right on" Realgun.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip