inboard vrs outboard

Max7

Seaman
Hi, I have a Mercury outboard 6 cyl 115 hp 1982 but it's too noisi and I would like to get an inboard boat,because I know they quayet,and you don't have to deal with the oil mix,but Im not to short about it if inboards are beter,are they give more problems ?Im thinking to get me a 90;s year 4 cyl to start ,but I don't know if should I get volvo,Mercruiser or other brand can somebody help me with an advise and if inboard is betterand what brand is more quiet,I m tired of the noise of the outboards,thank you for any advise

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: inboard vrs outboard

are you thinking of getting a different boat or are you wanting to convert your existing boat? because converting your boat is pretty much out of the question. I have heard of people going from I/O to outboard but never from outboard to I/O. your boat was not designed and built to handle the I/O setup

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Just to differentiate, Inboards have the motor in the center of the boat (usually) and the prop out the bottom with a rudder behind it. Sterndrives have the motor inside at the back with a swiveling drive out the back. Sterndrive = Inboard/Outboard = I/O. :)

If you're going used, then sterndrives are usually quieter. But if you're talking new rigs, outboards are very quiet now.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you could easily change you o/b to a four stroke. there are only two manuf of I/O mercruser and Volvo-penta. OMC was still in business in the early 90's, try to stay away from that, but at least a cobra drive by omc is easy to change to another brand, do not buy an omc 800 or stringer

QC

Supreme Mariner

IMHO the only reasons for an I/O (and that is all that I have owned) is a clean swimstep/transom and the awesome rumble of a V8 thru-hull exhaust. Since you wanna go quiet, unless you are swimming a lot, modern OBs are the only way to fly . . .

The only reason for a true IB in a boat under 25 ft. is watersports, and unless you are a pro I'd argue an I/O is much more flexible . . . My .02

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with all of these guys, the new 4 strokes are very quiet and clean running engines. Your boat is not set up for an inboard and the cost of converting it would pay for a couple new outboards. If you boat in saltwater I feel that outboards are the way to go.

Max7

Seaman

thank you guys but,transforming my outboard boat to inboard is out of the question,I would like to buy an inboard aoutboard boat/but I don't know what brand gives less problems if Mercruiser of volvo motor? I want to go for a four cyl, bucause I don't know if 6 cyl would spend more gass ,
My next question is a 4 cyl inboard outboard would spend more gass than a 4cyl out board?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Max7,

At the lower bhp ratings I like the Volvo. The answer to your question about 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl fuel is probably yes, the 4 cyl will be more efficient and lower cost. The fact is that modern outboards are even more efficient than I/O's, even some of the two strokes are, so if your goal is economy it is not necessarily automatic that switching to an I/O will get that done for you. To me this question is more simply answered depending on the type of boating you want to do. That may determine the preferred powerplant more than your stated reasoning above.

What kind of boating? How big of a boat? What's your budget? These questions are probably where you should start.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Since you're looking for a "90;s year 4 cyl to start" I assume that menas you really are not in the market for a brnad new boat. Granted, the new outboards sound great, but have a hefty price tag.

I cannot comment about the Mercruiser / Volvo differences, as I've only had Mercruiser, but a 18 - 19' boat with a 3 liter Mercruiser Alpha 1 would be my suggestion. Fairly quiet and fairly fuel efficient and can be bought fairly inexpensively. (Note the liberal use of the word "fairly" 8) )

Max7

Seaman

no bigger than 19ft like for around 7 people a family boat we only going to do a litle fishing thing,something it doesn't use to much gass thats why I would like a 4cyl but I don't know if get the volvo or Mercruiser of other brand or 6 cyl I never had an inboard/outboard
inboard use more gass than outboards?
are they give less problems?
are there any inboards that use antifreeze to cool down?

tommays

Admiral

7 is REALLY packed on a 19' boat

There are a lot of FWC units but there rare on older small motors as they were generaly budget priced boats with small engine comparments

As far as problems it really matters if it was given the correct upkeep by it other owners

Tommays

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having come from an OB to an I/O...

We loved our old '83 evinrude. It was a 115hp on a 16' open bow. All we ever did maintenance-wise was make sure there wasn't any water in the gear lube at the end of the season, drain and refill gear lube in the spring, and keep gas and oil in it. Over ~12 yrs never one engine problem that I can recall.

While running an OB - I'd always been around other family members boats with I/O's, and because of my draw to wake sports always wanted a bigger boat with an I/O.
About 4 yrs ago we bought a 19' 1989 Sunbird with a 4.3L OMC.
We did have a lower unit break down a year in, but that, we believe, was due primarily to poor maintenance by the previous owner.
Consensus is the Mercs and VP's are both much less likely to have the drive problems OMC's are known for (however, ours has been trouble-free since the repair).
We've had no issues with the engine to this point, and overall have really liked the I/O.

Winterization has been more involved with the I/O, but, had I known better with the OB I probably would have spent close to the same amount of maintennance time/money on it as well.

Concering fuel --
The 4.3L is 175hp in a 2500lb boat vs 115hp in a <2000lb boat, and we have not noticed a major decrease in fuel economy even though we expected it, especially knowing we are hard on fuel economy being that we're towing a wakeboarder or tuber 1/2-3/4 of the time JUST above planing speed at the fastest.

Antifreeze would require a closed cooling system, and in my region that is rare (non-existant?) on a smaller boat. Being near the salt in NY that might be something you can find, but I'm not sure of the benefits of that type of system.

Max7

Seaman

thank alot for the help guys I really apreciated
I would apreciated any other subjestion thank you
Max

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Merc or Volvo? They both use the same chevy engines, so find one that has been well maintained and you can get parts for(if you use the internet than parts becomes a non issue).

I agree with the above post that 7 is crowded on a small boat. Also, don't rule out the possibility of a V6. There is not as big a difference in economy as you might expect, plus with a full boat it provides alot more grunt.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't get caught up on the details so much. Find a boat you like, is in good condition, and can be had for a good price and buy it.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

having that many on a boat with a 4 cylinder ecspecially all adults, will be underpowered and the engine will be working harder, using more fuel. get the six for durability and the needed power. its better to have more than not enough. the six and small eights don't use that much more fuel, heck they probably use less than your outboard does. your resale on a boat with a larger engine will be more too. and who knows maybe over time you will get into more power needing sports