Inboard Shaft Seal

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to make sure the hose between the shaft log and Norscot dripless seal on my boat is good for the upcoming season. Is there a product that is used to wrap the rubber hose as a backup in case it would wear out. I have never uncoupled a drive shaft from a transmission and pulled the shaft and I am a little reluctant to begin that job. Yet I would like to make sure there is no leak from that hose. Thanks for looking and any assistance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Inboard Shaft Seal

Ayuh,... I never messed with 1 GD,...
I hear that's alota tolerances, 'n alignments that gotta be Dead On...

If presented with a sinkin' ship, on high seas,...
I'd like to Hope, I had a fair supply of that sillycone Super tape,...
It probably would Bandaid a hose to get to shore....
Short of that,...
A roll of name brand Quality electrical tape would be My next "Go To"....

I'll bumped this up for another go-round,....;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is very little pressure on those packing glands, it's just a small amount of water to lube and cool the packing. If you have any doubts about the hose, replace it.
Even duct tape would slow down the leak enough even a small bilge pump would keep up. If it had an automatic float switch and it actually worked.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess replacement is in my future. Now is the time to do it as I have the floor out of the boat and good access to the shaft and transmission. I am replacing an exhaust hose, raw water hose, rebuilding the water pump and now the shaft log to shaft seal hose. All this is limited to Sunday afternoons and I want to get the boat ready for water by the end of March.