Inboard Bent Strut And Cant Get Shaft Coupling Off

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 34ft 1992 Luhrs project boat I am working on it has been sitting for many many years I have never owned a inboard before. It has a bent strut and props I am trying to remove the couplings off of the shafts pulled the set screws out but they are stuck even heated them up. there is not much room to hit it with a hammer either I was going to buy a puller but it appears all websites are out of stock? If anyone has any suggestions on how to get them off or where I can get a puller?

Also anyone know what strut would replace this one? it appears its not made anymore and I was told mine is to bent to fix It says Dahmer marine s-35
20211002_154249.jpg
Thanks,.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just use google-----dahmer marine struts-----I think you can find replacements.----Likely need new struts , props and shafts.----Not hard to get this stuff in my opinion.

shrew

Lieutenant
If the shaft AND the strut are both bent, why do you need to separate the two? Unbolt the shaft from the coupler, unbolt the strut from the hull and remove the entire rig. Replace the strut, shaft and cutlass bearing with new.

mr 88

Commander
To answer your question, you can either put a spacer / 1 " socket between the two couplers and then get longer bolts. Now put the bolts in the coupler holes and start tightening the couplers together. The prop shaft will walk out with this method. Might need some different length spacers to get it all the way off. The couplers are not pressed onto the shafts , they do have a tendency to get annealed to each other. The other option is a puller cross bar with a short pressure screw. Bolt the crossbar using 2 of the holes to the coupler and with a short pressure screw it will move it quickly. You are correct with the clearance, just did this on my Luhrs 32 Open , so I am aware of your limitations. And the easiest way was with the puller bar and short pressure screw. Probably could fabricate something up if you put your mind to it.. General Propeller out of Fl made my new shaft 1" 3/8 x 84- 1/2 " for close to 700. New coupler around 100 , then I went dripless since everything's was off. 300 per shaft and at that point decided to enlarge rudders for better trolling control with the auto pilot , 1700 for that.

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
To answer your question, you can either put a spacer / 1 " socket between the two couplers and then get longer bolts. Now put the bolts in the coupler holes and start tightening the couplers together. The prop shaft will walk out with this method. Might need some different length spacers to get it all the way off. The couplers are not pressed onto the shafts , they do have a tendency to get annealed to each other. The other option is a puller cross bar with a short pressure screw. Bolt the crossbar using 2 of the holes to the coupler and with a short pressure screw it will move it quickly. You are correct with the clearance, just did this on my Luhrs 32 Open , so I am aware of your limitations. And the easiest way was with the puller bar and short pressure screw. Probably could fabricate something up if you put your mind to it.. General Propeller out of Fl made my new shaft 1" 3/8 x 84- 1/2 " for close to 700. New coupler around 100 , then I went dripless since everything's was off. 300 per shaft and at that point decided to enlarge rudders for better trolling control with the auto pilot , 1700 for that.
I will give this a shot
Thank you.

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just use google-----dahmer marine struts-----I think you can find replacements.----Likely need new struts , props and shafts.----Not hard to get this stuff in my opinion.
No really you don't think I tried to find one before asking here... was not able to locate one with same numbers on it I never had to replace a strut before not even sure what the numbers mean on it I am sure there is different angles ect?

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the shaft AND the strut are both bent, why do you need to separate the two? Unbolt the shaft from the coupler, unbolt the strut from the hull and remove the entire rig. Replace the strut, shaft and cutlass bearing with new.
I did unbolt the strut from the boat the issue is the coupler is stuck to the shaft has not been off in 8 years from what i can tell.

mr 88

Commander
Ok , I also replaced the bearings as well. Went all nylon vs bronze tube with nylon insert. Used a puller designed for installing / pulling cutlass bearing with shaft in place. It still took a couple hours with two guys and a Impact gun to get them.to budge off. But it came off that way , don't forget to loosen the two allan set screws in each cutlass.
If the shaft is just " hanging " there and is no good . I would get a small handle 2 -4lb sledge hammer and tap the shaft out , might help to have something or someone holding the shaft up as this is being done. That might take some uneven pressure off the coupler union .Put something ( 1 - 1/4 wrench for example, depends on shaft size and what's laying around that will take some hits instead of the wrench ) you can hit over the prop shaft and then put washer nut on to keep it ( wrench ) in place.

mr 88

Commander
Luhrs used Dahmer for there struts / rudders according to my paperwork.
General Propeller sells all the underwater running gear as well , they may have your model on record.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if its bent, use a cut-off tool to remove..... because you are replacing the strut and shaft

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it off made a tool outa half inch steel dropped everything off to a prop shop they said props and strut can be fixed but il need 1 new shaft could be worse I guess. Onto the next issue!! Boat needs a ton of work but got it running will be nice when done.