In The test tank

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice
I got that old 1960 40hp in the test tank. Turns over good, getting fuel but no spark now. Can anyone tell me where to start. It has new plugs.<br /> I am getting frustrated with this hunk of whaterever it is made of. Have the shot gun ready for the next frustraion level.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Billy

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: In The test tank

Slow down and take it easy. No sense fighting it without a plan.<br /><br />The magneto ignition on these outboards is extremely simple. It is all entirely contained up underneath the flywheel. The only thing external to it is the kill circuit and that's where we should start.<br /><br />If you look up under the flywheel, you'll see that there's two small black wires coming down. These are connected to each other (and sometimes to ground) to stop spark. Disconnect and isolate these wires from each other and see if spark returns. Don't ever run the outboard like this because with the vaccum cutout switch disconnected, you run the risk of dying from a heart attack. Don't expect much more than about a 1/4" long spark, but it should also jump more than say 1/8".<br /><br />Tell us what you find.

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

Paul. I am getting good spark from the upper plug and very little, but some, from the lower plug. It will still not kick over.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Did you disconnect the wires?<br /><br />If so, the weak bottom spark is due to some problem up under the flywheel. Usually either dirty points or a cracked ignition coil. The coils in these engines were notorious for cracking and going bad, so if they haven't been replaced in the last 20 years they'll need it. (the new ones are much better) Fortunately, the coils were so common and so bad that replacements are cheap and easily found. Iboats/NAPA auto 18-5181 I like even better than the factory coils.<br /><br />To get a look up under there, you'll need a puller. A common automotive "harmonic balancer puller" (beefiest you can find) equipped with three grade 8 1/4"-20tpi bolts 3 or 4 inches long is required. As well as a torque wrench capable of retorquing the flywheel nut to 105ft/lbs.<br /><br /><br />But the one that is good should fire at least occasionally if you can draw a 1/4" spark. Spark plug wires are the right way round right? Make up some pre-mix (24:1) in a spray bottle and spray it down the carb's throat while cranking the engine. See if it at least coughs on it.

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

Paul, I did disconect the plug wires when testing for the spark. Did get a cough. Also the plugs are soaked with fuel whe connected to the fuel supply. And the coil is the original from 1960.