IN NEED OF SUM REAL SERIOUS HELP HERE !!!!!

JUST LAST WEEK I BOUGHT A BOAT FOR MY FIANCE AND MYSELF BUT HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE ON IT WHATSOEVER! THIS MORNING I FINALLY FOUND OUT WHAT YEAR MY ENGINE WAS THANKS TO THE SUGGESTIONS UNDER THIS SITES LINKS ADD-IN. THANKS FOR THAT!!:) THE BIG PROBLEM IS THAT I CAN'T FIND ANY INFORMATION ON THE ACTUAL BOAT. SO FAR THE ONLY THING I KNOW ABOUT IT IS THAT IT'S BETWEEN 14 AND 16 FT. LONG AND CARRIES THE MANUFACTURER BY THE NAME OF TRAILORBOAT ENGINEERING CO. LOCATED OUT OF SAN RAFEAL CALIFORNIA. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY OLD BOAT BY THE LOOKS OF IT AND SEEING AS HOW I AM NOT COMING UP WITH ANYTHING ON THE NAME, I RECKON IT MUST BE TRUE. IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME EVEN THE LEAST BIT OF INFORMATION OR A SITE THAT WILL GIVE ME INFORMATION IT WOULD BE FABULOUS. ANOTHER LITTLE FACT I HAVE FOR ALL OF YOU, WHEN I WENT TO GATHER THE VIN NUMBER OFF OF THE BOAT I FOUND THE METAL TAG IT WAS STAMPED INTO BUT THE TAG ITSELF WAS ROTTED HALF WAY THROUGH. THE ONLY NUMBERS I COULD READ (THE ONES NOT TAKEN OUT BY THE HOLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TAG) WERE THE FIRST THREE AND VERY LAST NUMBER. I BELIEVE I AM STILL MISSIN GAT LEAST TWO NUMBERS. HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT FINDING OUT WHAT THOSE NUMBERS ARE? IF ANYONE CAN HELP EVEN A LITTLE BIT PLEASE EMAIL ME BECAUSE I THINK I'LL GET LOST TRYING TO FIND THIS POST AGAIN LATER! PLEASE HELP ME!!! THIS IS THE FIRST BOAT BOTH MY FIANCE AND I HAVE EVER OWNED.

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: IN NEED OF SUM REAL SERIOUS HELP HERE !!!!!

Welcome to iboats! <br />Easy with the caps though. Do you have the title, the vin should be there. Exactly what are you trying to find out?<br /><br />Your post may get moved by the great JB!

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Jeanine, there is no reason for you to be yelling at anybody here as they are just here to help. If you wants some boat help go to the appropriate forum where they are ready to help you with whatever problems you have. Chief ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats.

eeboater

Commander

I'm thinking she didn't know about the yelling-caps thing. If you are going to find an answer to your questions Jeanine, you'll find them here. Good luck.<br /><br />Sean

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I know in Nebraska.... any boat built in 1972 and older is not required to have a title or a VIN number. If I remember hearing this correctly Boats in that range didn't have VIN or titles when manufactured. The state it was lisenced in was responsible for making the decision wether the boat needed titled and vin. <br /><br />I would first contact your local office to find out if indeed it needs a title or VIN to recieve current tags.<br /><br />Here still in NE I don't have a title or VIN number for my boat, but it is fully licensed and registered to go out on the water with my evinrude 115. They tried to make it happen about 5 years ago then dropped the idea when to much confusion came up.<br /><br />Not sure on California but I know FOR SURE if the boat has been licensed in any state before (assuming it has) the Leters/Numbers on the boat are there for life and follow the life of the boat. If there was a VIN registered with the boat I would contact the state that the boat was previosly licensed in. Giving them the Number/Letter Combo they should be able to pull up any info on the boat. Or at least the information it was last given.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The USCG says that Trailorboat Co Inc of Sonoma CA is now out of business. Their assets were purchased by Klamath, probably around 1985.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Dont worry about the manufacturer so much.Get it checked out mechanically and worry about getting out on the water to enjoy it.Charlie

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm with vipzach. 1) Welcome and 2) What do you really want to know? Knowing who built it will not get you much. It still has to float and hopefully go. That kinda stuff will not be affected by knowing who built it . . . I guarantee if you need somnething(s) specific, you will get help here. The last female asking for stuff like you might need was inundated with especially good help. ;)

FSHKPR

Ensign

geeeez she was worried about not being able to find the post before and now jb moved it on her. she will never find it now.

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My buddy has a 12' aluminum trailorboat. I think his might even says Klamath on it.<br />I have a 1966 12' Klamath and it looks identical to his Trailorboat. <br />These boats are well made.<br />Anyways, since I assume your boat is aluminum I wouldn't worry about anything except for maybe the transom. If the transom is rotten you can easily replace the wood and make it good as new.<br /><br />The only issue with the boat besides leaky rivets is that there is a seam where the boat comes together in the front. Be careful to not ram objects and make sure the front of the boat is sitting on a rubber roller or something of the like when on the trailer.<br />The front seam in my boat is screwed up because of all the abuse i've given it and now it leaks about a gallon every five minutes.<br />I just use the boat for a beater river boat.<br /><br />As far as your serial numbers or registering the boat I wouldn't worry to much about it.<br />Just take it down to DMV and they will probably give you a new vin# and issue you CF#'s.<br /><br />I bought a 15' aluminum boat a couple years ago from a guy that purchased it from a private lake that never registered the boat.<br />I took it down to DMV with just a bill of sale and the serial number. They issued me a new title and registered it without even looking at the boat. I figured they would atleast verify I was giving them the correct serial number. <br />Kinda scary when someone could steal your boat and put it in his name with such little trouble.<br /><br />Good Luck

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> I'm with vipzach. 1) Welcome and 2) What do you really want to know? Knowing who built it will not get you much. It still has to float and hopefully go. That kinda stuff will not be affected by knowing who built it . . . I guarantee if you need somnething(s) specific, you will get help here. The last female asking for stuff like you might need was inundated with especially good help. ;)
:eek: Sorry about that before guys! I'm not too sure of anything when it has to do with boating. Really the only thing I do know about boating is that it really sucks when you get stuck 70 miles out with out any paddles and the motor decides to quit. I heard somewhere that the boat that I just recently purchased is a vintage boat and worth a pretty penny, however, I find it hard to believe some of the info I have already heard about it. It almost seems like people are trying to get over on me just because I am female and not too knowledgeable on the boat itself. But I know that no one would do that right. :) :D ;) :p Basicly I want to know wht year my boat is, because I do not have the title yet, as welll as another way to find the vin number. I would appreciate all the help I can get. :D