In hull transducer

Paleface

Cadet
Can I epoxy a transom mount transducer into my fiberglass hull or do I need the puck type? Humminbird has an exchange deal for transducers but mine's been opened and used already on another boat briefly. I'd like to know whether they'd work the same or not hoping I can save the cost of buying a puck.

The transom type seem to work fine sitting in the bottom of my composite canoe in a puddle of water but that's pretty limited experience and low speeds. Anyone glue one in their hull??

Re: In hull transducer

My tansducer is mounted in the boat. I have no trouble getting good bottom pics and depth, even when planed. This is how I did it:
1. Find spot by placing your transducer in a bag with water and out it in the hull, i used soft dive weights to hold it in pace
2. Once I found the spot, I used a 4" grinder and gently worked over the install area.
3. Cut a piece of 4" PVC about 4" long and 5200 the thiing to the spot, with the pvc vertical
4. Pour fiberglass resin(mixed with hardener) into the pipe.
5. Place your transducer inside and gently push downwhile moving back and forth to remove air bubbles.
6. Once the fiberglass hardens you have an airtight, encapsulated transducer.
Someone else may have better ideas, that worked for me

Paleface

Cadet

Thanks for the advise. Is that a puck transducer or the transom type that you epoxied in? I'm not sure if the transom type will work through the hull, I suppose I could try it in a bag of water and see.

miswirvin

Seaman Apprentice

on thing to think about is if you epoxy your transducer to your hull it's there for good. Another way to install you xducer is with a strong marine adheasive; 4200 that way when something needs replacement your not stuck with anything xducers forever. just make sure you use enough of it to eliminate any air bubbles in the sealent and keep a clean bilge.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't use any type of an adhesive or sealer to mount a transducer. It would act like a sponge and have a serious adverse effect on the acoustics of the transducer. You need to use a “hard” substance (i.e. epoxy) to maintain the acoustic properties of the transducer.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree with dingbat !!!!. We are talking about acoustics; i.e. sound transmitted and bounced off objects and detecting the reflected sound waves. The harder everything is, the better the sound reproduction.......just think about what folks do to make things quiet, porous surfaces, fiberglas, foam, lead/foam blankets.......when you want to be quiet, and sonar is just the opposite.

Mark

miswirvin

Seaman Apprentice

i agree with both of you guys as far as epoxy is better. but I would still recomend a in hull transducer for this installation. It will work better than the xducer glued to the hull.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had one of the bullet type that is made for the transom or bottom of the trolling motor. Decided to mount it inside (an alum boat). Not a problem.

Mark