in-hull transducer removal

coby-5

Seaman Apprentice
any ideas on the best way to remove transducer from fiberglass hull.....epoxy mount.....dont want a big hole in the bottom LOL

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: in-hull transducer removal

Hi,<br />I have removed an in-hull transducer. It was not glued with epoxy (it was glued with a flexible thing "Sikaflex"). I used a chisel and a hammer.<br />It was an Airmar P79 in-hull transducer I had. I replaced it with a "puck" shaped in-hull transducer that i glued with Sikaflex - this transducer works fine. My old worked fine also but I had to change because I bought a new chartplotter that did not have transducer interface that my old chartplotter had so I had to buy a stand alone depth instrument and then my old transducer did not work with that instrument...<br /><br />
ch.jpg

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I removed one that must have been put in with 3M 5200. It might as well have been part of the hull layup. Lot of hammering and chisling.<br /><br />And I don't see how you can avoid having a "big hole" if you take a transducer out even if it comes out clean.

rwidman

Lieutenant

This is mounted "in the hull" not "through the hull", right?<br /><br />Most epoxy is pretty brittle. If you hit the transucer sideways (parallel to the mounting surface) with a hammer you will likely break the bond. Hit it from different sides if you can. You can also try using a chisel at the intersection of the transducer and the hull. A chisel will help to remove any epoxy left behind on the hull.