In Hull or Transom Mount Transducer

kyudizky

Seaman
I'm sure I might get varying opinions, but I have a new Hummingbird Pinranamax 240 Fish finder and was wondering which mount i better- transom mount of in hull mount. I suppose one dray back to to an in hull mount is that it wouldn't be able to read water temp, but it protected. Does the unit work better in one of the two locations.

The boat its going on is a '91 Stratos 274 Fish and Ski, so pretty much a bass boat with a walk thru windshield. 90hp Johnson so it tops out at just under 50, don't have to worry about it not working at high speeds.

Appreciate everyone's help!

Kyle

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: In Hull or Transom Mount Transducer

If you are taling about a "shoot through the hull" mount, you are going to lose sensitivity. To do a test on how it might work for your hull, put some water in your bilge lower the transducer in the water and go out for a test. Once you try shooting through the hull, lower the transducer outside the hull and see if you see much difference.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The unit is a 200W unit without the option of manual operation.

Given such a low powered unit and the fact that you to live at the mercy of it's auto-operation I'd opt for mounting the transducer on the transom.

FWIW: The transducers' abilty to read at speed is determined by the quality of the installation. If properly mounted a transom mount transducer will work just as well as an inhull installation at speed.

The max speed that the transducer will operate is a function of the head unit.

skargo

Banned

I have both, a shoot through for my Humminbird 610 and a P58 transom mount for my Raymarine A65, they both read within .5' of each other.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The OP circumstance doesn?t necessitate this kind of scrutiny but here is some interesting data on the frequency shifts and the inefficacies they cause by shooting thru a fiberglass hull.

The data is based on a M260 and M199 transducer but the phenomena is present in all applications.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/installguide/In Hull Frequency Shift.pdf

Note: Slide 16 is of particular interest.

kyudizky

Seaman

Thanks for your your help. I was leaning toward the transom mount, an I think ya'll have solidified that decision. I figured that I only have something to loose, and not gain (as far as effiency of the unit) going thru-hull. Sure like the thought of it being protected though. At least its not one of the really high dollar units. Dingbat, I plan on installing exactly as the directions dictate, do you have any other suggestions or advise for a transom mount.

Thanks Again-