In honor of our new ranks...

gaugeguy

Captain
Sorry Navy vets, I do respect your service in the fleet ;) <br /><br />US Navy "Oath of Enlistment"<br /><br />I, Top Gun, in lieu of going to prison, swear to<br />sign away 4 years of my life to the United States Navy because I want to hang out with Marines without actually having to BE one of them, because I thought the Air Force was too "corporate," and because I thought, "Hey, I<br />like to swim... why not?" I promise to wear clothing what went out ofs style in 1976 and to have my name stenciled on the butt of every pair of pants I own. I understand that I will be mistaken for the Good Humor man during the summer, and for Waffen SS during the winter. I will strive to use a different language than the rest of the English speaking world, using words<br />like "deck, bulkhead, cover, and head" when I really mean "floor, wall, hat, and toilet." I will take great pride in the fact that all Navy acronyms, rank, and insignia, and everything else for that matter, are completely different from the other services and make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I will muster (whatever that is) at 0700 hrs every morning unless I am<br />buddy-buddy with the Chief, in which case I will show up around 0930 hrs. I vow to hone my coffee cup handling skills to the point that I can stand up in a kayak being tossed around in a typhoon, and still not spill a drop. I consent to being promoted and subsequently busted at least twice per fiscal year. I realize that, once selected for Chief, I am required to submit myself<br />to the sick, and quite possibly illegal, whims of my new-found "colleagues." So help me Neptune.

18rabbit

Captain
Re: In honor of our new ranks...

I will muster (whatever that is)
It’s the yellow stuff that goes on hotdogs after the ketchup but before the relish.

sloopy

Commander

good old navy... Is there a website that has the listings for all the ranks?

oddjob

Commander

because I want to hang out with Marines without actually having to BE one of them,
Hey, I remember chating to some fellas in Louiville at the afees station (hotel )in route to boot camp. I asked them why they wanted to be (M)arines ;) .<br /><br />They said their tests scores were too low to be anything else.... :D <br /><br />Centuries ago,As Privateers, the Marines were only aboard ship. They were finely dressed inforcers and gentlemen. They were the boarding party of the enemy ships. <br /><br />As a Seabee, I was stationed and bunked with the Corps in Futenma, Okinawa for one year. Had to do the KP duty and the whole bit. Room inspection by the Top Sargent. I even got me a Letter of Commendation for Saving the Officers Club from burning up. The Okinawan fire dept. wouldnt even enter the building/compressor room. Seebeas and the Corps were like two peas in a pod. Only had problems with a boot camp once in a while but a regular grunt would usually straighten him out on the spot. :D <br /><br /><br />BTW GG its skivy's ;)

18rabbit

Captain

A bunch of years ago there used to be a quasi-branch of the military that was ½ Marines and ½ Navy. The uniform was something like Marine pants and Navy blouse and unique cover (hat). Don’t remember why they were…but they sure looked weird when you saw them in that uniform.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Navy Corpsmen and CBs were always part sailor, part gyrene and all guts.<br /><br />My hat is off to them all.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> BTW GG its skivy's ;)
Oddjob, I know all about skivey's. My wife hates the term, boys think its funny. Wife also can't understand why I fold them into 4"x4" perfect squares either. She says I am the only man she knows that folds my socks instead of rolling them...old habits are hard to break.

gonfishn

Commander

The Navy Corpsman or Docs had the best of both worlds...Although I was attached to the Grunts I still was allowed to go by Navy Regs...Drove my Top nuts when I feel into formation with a full growth of beard and side burns..<br /><br />Night before we shipped out to Nam the Top smiled at me and said doc all that has to go.Told him I would meet him halfway..Next morning I fell out in full gear and with my head shaved but still had my beard(what a sight cause I got some ears now let me tell you)...I think he just gave up on me after that..Did shave it off later when gas masks came into play..

mattttt25

Commander

oddjob- never caught the fact you were a seabee. i'm a civil engineer corps officer now, and have worked with many seabees. great community to be in.

mattttt25

Commander

sloopy-<br /><br />seaman recruit<br />seaman apprentice<br />seaman<br />petty officer 3rd class<br />petty officer 2nd class<br />petty officer 1st class<br />chief petty officer<br />senior chief<br />master chief<br />warrant officer 1<br />warrant officer 2<br />warrant officer 3<br />warrant officer 4<br />ensign<br />lieutenant jg<br />lieutenant<br />lieutenant commander<br />commander<br />captain<br />rear admiral lower half<br />rear admiral upper half<br />vice admiral<br />admiral<br />fleet admiral (time of war only)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK....I'll join up. Wudda I got to say? I Do? OK. I Do. Am I in yet? When do I get a nuke sub? With missles! I know some sand that would be best turned into glass!!

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey! I've already been a 3rd class PO. I want to be something else this time.<br />Those pants are currently in style. I've actually seen kids wearing real navy dungarees with somebody elses name on the butt. Threw all mine away, probably could have sold them now. Figures.

Carphunter

Commander

Boy, i'm gone for a couple days and everybodys got new ranks...........cool. ;) <br /><br />I was always told I was "rank". :p

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Funny, I didn't see Ancient Mariner on there? :D

oddjob

Commander

i'm a civil engineer corps officer now, and have worked with many seabees. great community to be in.
Mattt,<br />I knew from previous posts that you were a Civil Engineer but I didnt know what you duties are presently. Public Works or Fleet?<br /> All of the officers in a Seabee Battalion were/are mostly Civil Engineers.<br /> Maybe there are other duties you perform or are capable of that I'm not aware of? I believe you said in a previous post that you are involved in purchasing and/or government contracts or something to that effect?

mattttt25

Commander

yes oddjob, in the civil engineer corps, only about 19% of our billets are with seabee battalions, although that's the only thing people know about us. most of our jobs are in public works, construction management, facility management, and staff. i've done a public works tour, and am now in construction management/contracting. i was in the surface community when i was first commissioned, so there wasn't a big rush to send me back to sea with the bees. i'll probably get that box checked next. just hoping the war settles a bit before i head over.

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey gaugeguy <br />Dont forget that the Navy and AirFarce are just transportation for our Military! hehe <br />Old Army Vet... joking ofcourse... :) <br />God Bless all of them.<br />Link

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Link:<br /> Hey gaugeguy <br />Dont forget that the Navy and AirFarce are just transportation for our Military! hehe <br />Old Army Vet... joking ofcourse... :) <br />God Bless all of them.<br />Link
I think the Navy enjoys transporting Marines. I have never in my life slept in such tight quarters as I did when I was on a ship. Packed in like sardines, definetely not the duty to have if you are claustrophobic ;) <br /><br />Another thing, when we were afloat the Navy would practice their battle drills and sound "General Quarters" and we would see them running around as we played cards. Then we realized that they sealed us in, and if we were going down there was no way for us to get out. I'll take my chances getting shot at, thank you very much ;)