In honor of DeputyDawg and BubbaCat

spratt

Lieutenant
Actually this thread is to allow folks to relate their stories about their local / not-so-local heroes, our United States Police Departments. It is one of the most honorable vocations, yet so despised, but usually only by those who fear them. Toom any people teach their little ones that if they don't behve, the cop is gonna "get them"!!! I ALWAYS taught my boys to respect law officers, and that told them that if they ever needed help, find the nearest officer!! If you have a story about how a law officer has helped you, please post it here. Another good thread might be for respect to our boys fighting for our freedom, yes, even in Iraq!!<br /><br />Recently, here in Wa., there was a young criminal doing whatever criminals do, and 911 sent at least one officer to the scene, a local public baseball field. When the officer arrived, it was a drug buy going down and reinforcements were called. Guns were drawn, shots were fired, and a K9 officer was sent to retrieve the criminal with a gun. Unfortunately, the youth shot and killed the K9. He also shot at the Officer, but was apprehended before he could do any further damage than murder 1. When the case came before the judge, she ended the case by not charging the youth with killing a police officer, but instead ruling it self-defense. She said the guy only shot because he was afraid when the K9 began chasing him. DUH!!! Buddy was the name of the K9, and he was a hero in my book.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: In honor of DeputyDawg and BubbaCat

spratt, I can relate to the K-9's.<br />For 7 years, I raised German Shepards and Rotweillers.<br /><br />The sole purpose of this was to provide the Ashland, Ky. and Lexington, Ky. K-9 officers with their dogs.<br /><br />I have seen the results of my pups and am very proud of them and the men that are their partners.<br /><br />They are partners for life.<br />If a K-9 retires, he retires to the officer's home to live out his life.<br /><br />I get calls all the time from the officers that have them and my head swells a little everytime I hear from one of them.<br /><br />The Lexington police force had a K-9 shot, but was not killed, and that perp got charged with attempted murder of a police officer.

spratt

Lieutenant

I actually got a chance to watch one of those K9 officers in action once at a house next door to mine. The house was surrounded by officers, a K9 was introduced into the house along with his partner. The Officer shouted Police, come out! Immediately the K9 (a HUGE german shepherd) started barking his commands also...it would have frozen my blood if it were me they were after!!! But it made me tingle and laugh inside to see him working so valiantly. Respect, yessir, that is the word!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea they will tell them that they will turn the dog loose on them if they don't come out and that gets the dog's attention also.

spratt

Lieutenant

I noticed that as long as teh Officer yelled, the K9 barked...when the Officer stopped, teh K9 stopped...in short order the guy came out in handcuffs...what a scene it was to watch those officers move in, not knowing WHAT was on teh other side of the door they were enering! The one with teh K9 parner crept up the stairs to teh door, keeping VERY low, and reached out to try the handle. It was unlocked, so he slowly opened the door and allowed the K9 to enter, and when no shots were fired he crept in. The whole house was surrounded and everyone was very tense...it unfolded quietly and all went well, thank the Lord!!!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Heres a few thoughts from this side of the badge. Usually I won't say much for fear of sounding like I am complaining, which I am a little.<br />Your right about not knowing what is on the oter side of the door. We always get called down if we are too cautious on a traffic stop, but at night who knows who is in the car? We get called down if we take a suspect down hard because he pulls away, but what is his motive?<br />If someone runs from us in their car, we chase them. If they wreck it is our fault and we will be sued both department and eprsonally. If we don't chase them and they go do something to hurt another, we might get sued for this also. I have had people spit on me one day, the next call me for help. People complain if I drive too fast but complain if I take too long to get to them in their time of need. I have been attacked and assaulted, but when I use force to protect myself they whine and complain about brutatility. <br />One day sticks out in my mind. First I was sent to assist an elderly woman in her home, turns out she couldn't get a window shut. Right after I assisted with investigating a traffic accident where a baby was killed, drunk driver. When I left that I was sent to a domestic. The woman was beaten and bloody. I tried to arrest the male, he resisted so we fought. Me only being allowed to use enough force to restrain him and no more, the fight lasted longer than it should have. Wife then got mad I was arresting him and blindsided me. Finally got both arrested, then they said I was abusive when I called her a bi#!h after she jumped me from behind. I got back on the road and made a regular speeding stop and had to find it in me to be pleasant while I was being chewed out for writing a ticket instead of chasing "real criminals". Then a parent called me because of all else little Johnny wouldn't go to bed and it was late! Amazing how many of these we have to roll on! Then to end the night I changed a tire for a handicapped man traveling through.<br />All of these ups and downs in a 12 hour shift and I am supposed to be sane? All this for less than 24000 a year.<br />It is a proven fact that in the first 3 years of service an officer sees more human suffering than an average person sees in their lifetime. Makes sense, nobody calls unless something is wrong.<br />I know the pain of seeing death firsthand, holding a strangers hand while they die trying to calm them while knowing they are going. I know the pain of seeing the child abuse, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, the pain of taking a life (lucky not firsthand good friend and partner) and the joy of saving a life. I also know the nightmares from the close calls and from the abused childrens stories. <br />But I also know the joy of helping the old woman close her window, finding the lost child who wandered off in the woods, finding the lost bicycle and returning it to the child in tears, locking up many child molesters.<br />I also know the adrenaline rush of bustin down a door clearing a crack house, the 130mph vehicle persuits, wading into a crowd of 25 in a bar fight. <br />I know all of this which makes me a styronger person. I cherish my family and my life more than ever.<br />YES, I have to admit I have the best job in the world. I wouldn't want to do anything else. I can't wait to get to bed at night just so I can get up and do it all again.<br />Only wish the pay was better. 23,500 salery averaging 60 hours a week through the year stinks, but I am still very lucky!<br />I could go on for days, but no different than any other officer. Next time anyone badmouths an officer ask yourself, what ha sthat officer done today and who will I count on when I am in trouble.<br />Next time you see an officer at the dunkin doghnuts, think of where he might have just come from. Also remember that most people get coffee breaks during their day, we might not.<br /><br />Thanks for reading.<br />9501

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

OH Yeah, thanks to everyone for the good words for us on the "thin blue line". It really means a lot, more than you could ever know.

spratt

Lieutenant

My hat is off to oyou, adn ll who hold the NOBLE office along with you, both human and K9!!!

aspeck

Staff member

As a first responder I have gotten to houses and had to wait for the officers (and I was certainly glad they got there). I have seen them first hand do the things that Deputy has said. I have grumbled because be had to wait too long at the accident for the officer to fill out his report (but not out of disrespect, but just because we needed something to do!). Yes, my hat goes off to the men and women in blue (and brown, and grey...whatever color the uniform).<br /><br />Thanks for a job well done and for helping to keep us safe.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Let me jump in again with something I forgot in my previous ranting.<br />I am not that much of a hero, I am just a man doing a job. <br />The real hero and the one who needs all ALL of the recognition is the wonderful woman I have waiting at home for me every night. Cops wives have a lot harder job than we do!<br />She feels the chill every time she hears a siren screaming through town. And she is the one that is left wondering when she hears the calls put out over the scanner in out house. After 10 years she still can't hide the fear every time I dress in the SWAT gear to go to a neighboring county to serve drug warrants.<br />She puts up with my moods when I come back from a bad call, knowing I can't talk about anything even when I should.<br />It is easier now that I am in a small area, out of the city, but she also knows we have 1 on duty per shift and our area covers 25 miles across each way. She knows I work in 8 towns alone, and if I need help it is at least 15 to 20 minutes away. <br />Our wives/husbands are the real heroes and should be recognized for their devotion.

spratt

Lieutenant

Sometimes I think that part of the punishment some of these crackheads and punks should have to endure would be to ride along on a shift with a cop and see first hand what horrors are actually out there...that is, once they are dried out and can see clearly.