In a Perfect World

SoulWinner

Commander
I think all 50 states should simaltaniously cecead from the union while congress is in session, then revoke all politicans state residency so they have to stay in DC, and bar any of them from travelling back to the newly formed United States of America. We move the capitol to Abilene Kansas, and start over with the original Declaration of Independance, Bill of Rights, and Constitution.<br /><br />Politions would make no more than $40,000 per year, and could spend no more than $40,000 on any campiegn, and could only have one term. Also, congress would be subject to the same laws as the rest of us, and couldn't vote themselves raises. Also, attornies would be disqualified from public service. Yeah....that would be nice...

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: In a Perfect World

better get our national guards back first! we will need them.

Link

Rear Admiral

What a wonderful dream. Don't forget that after that term they DON'T keep getting that 40,000 for the rest of their life!<br /><br />Wake UP Link! Your Dreaming Again :)

ndemge

Commander

Soulwinner.... you've hit it on the head.

SCO

Lieutenant

I think we ought to split into two countries, left and right. After ten years see which one is thriving, with better employment, less poverty, better health care, cleaner air...on down the line.(I'd be in the clean air wing of the conservative country, as I think this should be a conservative issue...responsible utilization of resources). Actually the experiment has been performed... California. Do they learn?????No because their perceived notion of noble intent( a flawed perception I might add) is more important than reality. They cannot grasp that capitalism works because each individual is acting in his/her own best interest which creates the greater good. That's how you motivate all to get out and pull the wagon. They call that greed, and greed is bad bad bad. Sry for the rant

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I personally think that congress should be a traveling road show in the U.S.. That way people from different states can sit in on different sessions and observe first hand what all goes on.

DoctorCAD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think all politicians should make a minimum of $1,000,000 a year. Then nobody could use money to influence them.

Politicians should be treated like college athletes... you cannot accept money from anyone or your *** is out! Pay them decent though, increases competition and increases the likelyhood of good candidates.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by DoctorCAD: "I think all politicians should make a minimum of $1,000,000 a year. Then nobody could use money to influence them."<br /> <br />I do not think that when one enters into public service it should be for money.<br />How about after taking into account all of their travelling expenses and their wonderful healthcare benefits they're paid same as the soldiers serving in iraq.<br />And like MY said term limits.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Your plans work for me MY and Elmer....<br />Only would add, once your out of public service, thats it! No retirement fund, healthcare, nuttin... yer on yer own...

11 footer

Lieutenant

40 grand a year!!!!<br /><br />Pretty much everyone who lives on there own makes more then that.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

NEG ON TERM LIMITS. <br /> get a good politician and be forced to roll over to a lame duck just because he did a good job too long.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

low pay,no retirement, term limits seems like a dead end job , no need to excel , just get elected and your done. similar to going to jail.

Skinnywater

Commander

SoulWinner, your on the right track but you have to know that the founders were already on top of it.<br />I've noticed a common theme in a couple of your threads. I've provided some links that show how and why a part of the system broke and commonsense solutions to repairing it.<br /><br />Someday, when the status quo (Democrats and Republicans)finally face reality we can go back to being a Republic. The Federalist party is and was the abandoned solution.<br /><br />Here is the meat of your thoughts and arguements;<br />True and resposible (local) representation, term limits, campaign finance reform. All here in a neat little package.<br /><br />In part, Article 1, Section. 3. US Constitution<br /> <br />The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof** , for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.<br />Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the first Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that one third may be chosen every second Year; and if Vacancies happen by Resignation, or otherwise, during the Recess of the Legislature of any State, the Executive thereof may make temporary Appointments until the next Meeting of the Legislature, which shall then fill such Vacancies [All Modified by Amendment XVII].<br /><br />** Note!!: this means appointed by your States legislature <br /> <br /> http://www.constitution.org/constit_.htm <br /><br /><br />From The Center for Constitutional Studies<br />Democratizing the Constitution:<br />The Failure of the Seventeenth Amendment<br /> http://www.nhinet.org/hoebeke.htm <br /><br /><br />Why repeal the 17th amendment.<br /> http://www.liberty-ca.org/seventeenth_amendment.htm

SoulWinner

Commander

Skinney,<br /><br />Thanks for the links, and thanks for the education (no civics classes in my high school?!?!) Thanks again....but now we as American that love this country must come together, right and left, to save this place before it gets where our sold out politicains are taking it. There are no republicans or democrats in office now that are willing to do the right thing. Heck, they couldn't if wanted to as long as guys like Ted Kennedy have the political power that they do.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with some of the concepts you espouse, SW.<br /><br />Local government is more responsible to the voters than centralized government. I served as an unpaid representative in local government, and it is not a job for the faint hearted or weakling.<br /><br />I have followed the day to day activities of a U.S. Representative and refused to run for the job. Let me tell you that they earn every dollar they ever get, and more. 30 hours in a day and 9 days in a week is not enough. That is 24-7-365.<br /><br />The modern conservative notion is to restore power to local government and reduce centralized pork barrel government.<br /><br />Your proposal, however, is more of a fantasy world than a perfect world. Ask Jeff Davis.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Follow the money trail... The interests that fund the campaigns to get, and keep, these "public servants" in office...<br /><br />Cut off the money, then we might get somewhere...