Improve keel roller trailer

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 18' tri-hull that I load onto a keel roller trailer with two bunks (bunks don't hold much weight, just stabilize). I am looking to improve this setup because I often boat with inexperienced folks, so I need loading to be easy. My issue with the current setup is that loading. If the boat approached the trailer and is no perfectly parallel (pretty much always), it will catch on one of the bunks, twist, and drag the hull across the bunk brackets and cross members. I am planning on adding center bunks just outside of the rollers to give the boat a bigger target when loading and help align it. My question is, should I add the center bunks near the rear, or near the front? I am also open the other ideas. Thanks I'm advance!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Remove the aft roller and replace it with a self-centering poly roller. It'll load by itself after that mod.

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the advice! I looked those up and they look like a good solution.

Also - glad you could decipher my post - typed it on my phone and just realized how many spelling mistakes I made.

Thanks for the help!

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice
Just wanted to follow up on this post.

I haven't had a chance to swap in a self centering roller yet, but I did add 2 - 4' bunks near the center of the trailer. I mounted the bunks just outside the keel roller (see picture - new bunks are the black ones).

This made a HUGE difference. When I load, these bunks are mostly out of the water, so as the boat approaches it centers itself on these and runs right up the middle of the rollers.

I also plan on putting on a self centering roller in the back since I need to replace my rollers anyway - should be cake to load once both these changes are made. Then I just need some new paint on the trailer...

Thanks for the help!