Importance of reeds?

I am currently rebuilding a 9.9 evinrude and the reeds looked good when i took it apart. I have a problem with fouling plugs, particularly the bottom cylinder. In another post it mentioned that reeds could be the source. Should i change them as well while i'm in the engine?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Importance of reeds?

Howdy, Fisher. As long as your reeds seat well against the reed plate and have no cracks or chips you should be okay.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

reeds agree I with JB u might have a gasket leak and it sounds like its minute check the head gasket on the bottom cylinder for etch like marks if those marks are there u have a leak good luck

SCO

Lieutenant

Should reeds last the life of the engine? If not when should you consider a change for maintainence purposes

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Brother, your in there this far and sound worried about everything ,so why not change them.Thing is on this engine reeds seldom fail.

Thanks all for the advice. Much appreciatted. I decided to go ahead and order the parts the other day and i excluded reeds from my list because i tested them according to my manual and they seem fine. It actually appears that someone has recently (within last 5 years or so)rebuilt this engine. The water pump was brand new, the fuel pump looks great prolly very new, i had the carb rebuilt, and for the most part the inards of the engine weren't nearly as bad as i expected.