impeller

danny k

Seaman Apprentice
Last weekend I noticed a reduced amount of water coming out of the water exit ports. Normally I have 2 streams of excellant discharge, as I did the previous week. This last time I noticed only 1 stream and it was reduced by about 50%. I ran the motor, a 1991 Merc 150 XR, about 1 hour at about 4000 rpm and monitored the discharge flow continiously. It remained the same. I also monitored the water temp and it never ran over 120 degrees. Is this a problem of serious concern. If impeller replacent is necessary is this something a shade tree mech can handle and if not approximately how much $$ am I looking at by having it done by a pro.<br />Thanks,<br />Danny k

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: impeller

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />According to the Manufacturer, that's an Annual (minimun) maintenance point. Realistically, every 3 years isn't impractical. But push it past 5 years and you're on borrowed time. Sounds like it's never been done on yours. DO IT!<br /><br />Public libraries often have manuals. Or iboats sells them in the Marine Mega Mall. Or it's about an hour job at a shop.

kipper

Cadet

danny just had an impeller replaced on my 88 150 blkmax at the dealer it was about 90 bucks inc the part i think my impeller was 20 or 30 bucks and the reat labor

ehenry

Commander

DannyK, replacing an impeller isnt that big a deal. Get you a manual and go for it. If you dont feel comfortable doing it, look up a guy down there named Donnie Bourne. I'd trust him to work on my stuff if I had to.

danny k

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys,<br />My biggest concern was getting the shaft re-aligned with the crank. It sounds like it may be easier then I thought.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Danny K.

IBrokeMyFreakinNeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Danny,<br /><br />That was the biggest problem I had in changing a water pump for the first time. After about 2 hours of breaking my back trying to get it lined up right, I had a friend come over and turn the flywheel while I pushed the lower unit back up, and WAH LAA! <br /><br />-Bill