impeller trick?

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last weekend I TRIED to install an impeller in my 79 85 hp Rude. It's a good thing I did because two of the blades on the old impeller had broken off. Luckily they were still in the pump housing. My question is, should you put the impeller into the pump housing then slide it down the shaftonto the woodruff key? Or should you put the impeller onto the key and then put the pump housing onto the impeller? My manual shows both steps but I seem to have **** doing either one. And should a round seal go under the impeller. My manual doesn't show a seal there, but one is in the package and it shows it should be there in the instructions. I really want to get this done but I want to do it right this time. No shortcuts when it comes to keeping her cool.<br /><br />Dutch

D

DJ

Re: impeller trick?

Dutch,<br /><br />I usually "shoehorn" the impeller into the housing and slide it down the shaft. Make sure you have the direction right. The tips of the impeller blades face away from the direction of rotation.<br /><br />The O'ring, I'm not sure about.

Walker

Captain

The O-ring goes under the impellor. Put the impellor on the shaft and when you push the housing down turn the drive shaft at the same tim and the housing will go right down. It really doesnt matter which way you turn the drive shaft, when you hit the starter the fins of the impellor will goes the right way. Walker

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks VERY much for the info guys. Is there some way to insure the tube that goes into the pump housing goes where it's suppose to. My motor just has a tube hanging there that is not very long. Also do you have to put sealant on the lower unit<br />or is it suppose to seal itself? I hate to ask waht seem to be stupid questions but if you don't ask you'll NEVER know the answer to do it right.<br /><br />Dutch

D

DJ

Dutch,<br /><br />The tube is a bit tricky, you just have to eyeball it as it's going up. You'll know if it didn't hook up as soon as you run it, it will get hot quick.<br /><br />The lower unit does not need to be sealed to the exhaust housing.<br /><br />If your gearcase is in reverse (shift rod up) it will make hooking up the shift linkage easier.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

djohns19:<br />Thanks for the answers. From my search here I see that dish washing liquid is good for lubing the impeller and the drive shaft during installation?<br />I always see the posts here that say check your impeller. I saw for myself(w/ the broken blades), that my next fishing trip could have been short and expensive. Thanks for your priceless advise.<br /><br />Dutch