impeller shopping

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a 19boat ft byliner cc with a force 120, '90 model. Im going to put a new pump in but don't know much about it. Do I have a 120, or a 120L drive? What's the difference.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: impeller shopping

L-Drive motor is mounted inside the boat and is connected to the lower unit with a shaft and u-joints. This is what it looks like.
1990Maxum2100LDC 016.jpg

The lower unit sticks out the bottom of the boat.

1990Maxum2100LDC 004.jpg

Regular 120HP outboard is mounted on the back of the boat like this.

Boat (4).jpg

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks. Mine is a regular outboard. Can I take the small cover off to get to the thermostat out or do I have to remove all head bolts and take the plate over the head off? Also how can I check the overheat alarm to see if it works?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The thermostat cover is held in place with 4 large screws. Sometimes that can get corroded and pretty stubborn to get out. No need to take out the head bolts or remove the head cover.

To test the over-heat sensor itself, you can remove it from the head and heat it up with a heat gun, or maybe a blow drier. I'm guessing that the sensor is set to short at about 180?. Check it with a meter between the wire and sensor case. When it's cold it should read open. When it's heated up, it should read shorted.

To test the over heat buzzer, turn you ignition key to the "ON" position and ground out the wire on the terminal block that the sensor goes to. The buzzer should come on.