Impeller rotation question

Laneman25

Seaman
2000 volvo 5.0 GL seawater pump rebuild complete. All the videos showed rotating the impeller CW while pushing it into housing. Started motor and sure enough it turns the opposite direction. Will the impeller vanes reverse on their own? Ran it for 15 minutes and temp was 155

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Yes

The impeller will have proper vane orientation once the engine is running

155 degrees sounds right for most applications, if your uncertain of dash guage accuracy you can verify with an ir temp gun at the sender

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
While these impellers flex a lot by design, I am cringing at the thought of it having to do a backflip. No question it will under the force of the engine but i would suggest it has now been over stressed and will fail prematurity. And with a potential overheated engine as a result. For the cost of a new impeller, I would replace it. Else you are doing a science experiment to see if can get a backflipped impeller to last.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
While these impellers flex a lot by design, I am cringing at the thought of it having to do a backflip. No question it will under the force of the engine but i would suggest it has now been over stressed and will fail prematurity. And with a potential overheated engine as a result. For the cost of a new impeller, I would replace it. Else you are doing a science experiment to see if can get a backflipped impeller to last.
This post is verging on ridiculous

I've never seen a new impeller fail to provide adequate cooling water supply with an otherwise sound system.

The only failure in regards to impeller replacement that have yielded unsatisfactory results ime is wrong part replacement, pump housing issues, supply issues or issues unrelated to said impeller replacement

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
This post is verging on ridiculous
Ouch!
Given the amount of squish these impellers undergo (see example picture) I find it difficult to believe they would not be damaged doing a ‘backflip’. I am curious: have you personally put an impeller in ‘wound up’ the wrong way and then had a normal life out of it?
RWP Inpeller.png

dubs283

Vice Admiral
have you personally put an impeller in ‘wound up’ the wrong way and then had a normal life out of it?
Yes, along with proper part acquisition and installation along with a sound cooling system complete

I fail to understand given the context why the words I post are questioned

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
The key is ‘proper’. The OP said he wound up the impeller in the wrong direction and both of us provided input which is what this forum is for. I have never replaced an impeller improperly either but if I did and only realized it after starting up, I would absolutely replace it again as cheap insurance.
Admiral, please take this offline via PMs if you find my comment disrespectful.

flashback

Captain
Ouch!
Given the amount of squish these impellers undergo (see example picture) I find it difficult to believe they would not be damaged doing a ‘backflip’. I am curious: have you personally put an impeller in ‘wound up’ the wrong way and then had a normal life out of it?
View attachment 398911
Looking at your pic I think the blades that are compressed would not do a backflip I believe they would simply follow as is until they could straighten. And then orient to the housing.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
Flashback, it was only a pic I found on the internet. And agree that is a possibility and probably the case that happens most of the time given if the installer used a good lube and there were no ‘hangnails’ that would catch the impeller with a leading vs trailing edge so to speak. But why risk it was my point. I currently do not have access to my VP manuals to check if they address the clocking of the impeller during installation but will check it when I get home. If the manual says can install either way, then I will have learned something (which is what I try to do every day x 3, i.e. 3 new things a day is my life goal). :)

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
many years ago when i rebuilt my first out boards ( long before the internet and without a service manuals) i would just plonk the impeller in where it went IE: push down whilst turning the shaft , never had one fail from my inexperience not knowing the correct direction.
later i learned that on the first start up they instantly flip to the correct direction by themselves after i intentionally put one in the wrong direction and took it apart shortly after to see the result , sure enough it flipped.

so in saying that , yea , it could cause issues 100 hours down the track if the impeller was not soaped up ,IE: put in dry. but even then it would still eventually with normal water lube change to the direction it needs too within a short time after start up.