Impeller replacment - what am I getting into?

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have read many treads on the subject concerning the need for a good pee streem from old mercs. Mine is a Kiekhaffer 95hp, '67 serial # 2124524. Real beauty. Today was the first time out of storage for many years, have changed lower unit oil and unpluged the pee hole. Litterally hooked up a vacume to make sure water came out and it does. I know the motor is thermostaticly controled but checked with pop and the impellor has never been changed in 30yrs! Whould like to keep the old girl around for another 30, what is it going to be like going after the impeller before it is to late. This is definatly a preventitive measure I'm thinking about, but I see somthing like steam at idel and a sputtering stream to full stream as the engine speed increases. Any hints, warnings or tricks would be a benifit in my decision to take this one on or to pawn it of to a mechanic.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Impeller replacment - what am I getting into?

If she still runs and doesn't overheat it is not too late, Molesnice.<br /><br />Don't try it until you have a Service Manual.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

best suggestions?? - read one of these threads that the offerings @ iboat didn't cut it - no experience whit ordering from these folks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

pump job on that motor is eaasy and striaaght fwd all the way up to reinstalling the reverse lock cam :) :) . then with no training or pictures it can drive yaa nuts. best I remeber none of the older inline engines ran a t-stat. nor did they run any type of pressure controls. that only came with the later inline big bore loopers and the 3 cyl inlines. but its way overdue for a pump change. hope it comes apart.

dave37

Seaman Apprentice

Did mine this winter using a Seloc service manual, was a breeze. Do yourself a favour though, take pictures of every step of disassembly. The seloc manual says to have the control in neutral when removing the lower, I read in these boards to have it in forward, which I did, and with my photos of the shift shaft position in the lower unit it was a breeze putting the lower back on.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Manuel on the way - $50 oh well - will also keep a digital camera available and will keep ya'll posted

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Manuel has arived - just a thought upon initial reading. If I just need access to the top of the lower unit, why do they have you remove the prop? Is this just to make it easier to handel? From what I can tell, it seams like an unnessesary step - any thoughts???? Will begin tomorrow and will probably pull prop since it is the first time changing the impeller

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

You don't really need to remove the prop or drain it - although most guides say to do both. Pobably reason to remove prop is like you say - just easier to handle. It gives you something to grab on to (the prop shaft) that doesn't cut your hand or rotate.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

And if you remove the prop at least as often as you change the impeller, and grease the splines, it won't be as likely to sieze up on there.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Motor Boater Bill:<br /> And if you remove the prop at least as often as you change the impeller, and grease the splines, it won't be as likely to sieze up on there.
Just had to repeat what MBB said - soooooo true! Do early and often and it's so simple. Wait a couple of years and ...

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update - after the numerous threads I have read about the lower unit getting stuck, I was wondering if I really wanted to be that agrivated. Being me, the answer was SURE! its cheaper. Well the lower unit is off and the impellor is out. Looks in good condition but definatly a good call as the fingers are not as flexable as I am sure they should be. Will try and get the parts localy so I can reassemble today, if I have to order them so be it. Lucky me so far, every bolt other than the prop just aboout took the wrench from me and removed itself.<br />found all necessary parts at a local marine supplu - put them in and what a BI#@$ch getting to line up. A buddy not thinking shifted the speed lever, the lower unit went into position but now?? it seams locked in forward gear. have read other postings on this situation, time to read.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok found the instructions about taking back apart, turnning the shift spline counterclock wise to put into reverse, and then placing console control into reverse. said a short prayer and everything sliped together like magic. However, when I shifted to neutral, the prop does not turn freely - is this because I have not yet refilled the LU with oil yet or am I going to get more practice with simple hand tools?

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

frustration - oh tis the life. Had to stop and walk away, no sense losing one's temper.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

Mosenice, you have a great attitude. I have no doubt you will solve this! Hang in there!

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

7:45am not awake but am looking @ boat and the room is quiet. probobly shuold wait but am going in...

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

7:50 LU off switchg all setting to the forward position

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

8:05 Got it - slipped back on tighned bolts finger tight, pulled into reverse DONE! well not quit, need to tighten all bolts, fill lower unit w/oil and go fishin! opps - going on vacation to Astin texas - fishin will have to wait till next week.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lower unit has oil and all bolts are tight- partner suggests I call and get an answer on the mercury switch to the new switch box - I shuold, probably will.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fired her up, peeing like it was last in line at the carnival, high volume - oooh that feels good.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

The way you post these updates, I gotta think your keyboard has greasy fingerprints on it! Fun to read, thanks.