Impeller lubricant

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
What do you guys use to lubricate the impeller when your changing it. I have seen some people use grease but I don't really want to run that through the engine, unless anybody out there knows that it's OK. Will dish soap work?

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impeller lubricant

you can use alittle grease it will wash off in the water

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A thin layer of grease, just a small swipe on the plate and the cup is all that's needed. It's not going to affect the engine at all and will be gone after 2 minutes running. It's just a precaution so as not to run the impeller dry momentarily and to make the installation of the impeller into the cup a easy matter.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello,<br /><br />When I changed out my water pump assembly I used liquid dish detergent and haven't had a problem. Worked great.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

What kind of grease should I use, regular wheel bearing grease?

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forgot to add one more thing. Before you crank the motor to check out the water pump ensure you have the water on for about a minute before you crank her over on the muffs to ensure water gets into the water pump.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If none of the above are available....use spit. Worked a couple times for me....when I was in a pinch...... :)

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Well I have plenty of wheel bearing grease, will that work? I think I might have some Vaseline out there too.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Have you ever felt like there was a chain hanging from your belt.... and somebody was yanking it?

CATransplant

Admiral

I don't know, but I use liquid dish soap for this. It works great, but makes a nice foamy mess in my barrel when I start up. No residue, though.<br /><br />I also put it on the ends of the water tubes. Makes 'em slip right into those pesky grommets.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cricket,<br /><br />Any old grease, or temporary lubricant like washup liquid, will do!<br /><br />As Joe knowledgeably said, it'll be gone inside a coupla minutes, and it's only to stop the impeller running dry those first few seconds.<br /><br />Don't lose sleep over it Pal. It's not high-tech.

DHPMARINE

Captain

All of the above is correct.Lube helps you get the impeller installed.As for lubrication after that If you run in the water,or on a hose,the water is there instantly,and no damage is done.<br /><br />DHP