Impeller functioning? stream or spray output

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have searched this section on the type of water flow from force outboards. I have read two different opinions of the subject. I have a 1983 85hp Chrysler outboard. When I start the outboard and after a couple of minutes, I can put my hand by the two rear leg holes and see/feel moisture and drops of water. After a few more minutes, there are drops of water below these holes on the leg. There is no stream, regardless of rpms. Is this an acceptable condition, or should I get to work? I apologize if this question is not appropriate. :eek:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Impeller functioning? stream or spray output

Water should dribble out or have some spray out of the taletell. Water will also be tepid

Last edited:

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, mine has a moulded rectangle that protrudes and has a pair of holes (3/4 to 1 inch in dia.) at the location of your pictures output. You can feel the exhast coming out along with moisture as previously stated.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found on ebay a picture of what the outputs look like on my outboard. I hope it is okay to post the link?<br /><br /> Force outboard

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I would think that there should be a fair amount of water coming out of those holes. Have you owned this motor long? You should try back flushing the water system through the thermostat opening and see if water is coming out the water tube this way. I am assuming the impeller is new and installed correctly. Check the interior of the water pump and make sure it is not pitted and that the water tube fits snuggly in the grommet on the bottom of the powerhead.<br /><br />The telltale on my 45 hp chrysler puts out about a cup of water every 15 or 20 seconds at idle. Not much water but enough to tell me the water is circulating.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay, I will check this tomorrow. But, I have read other comments here regarding the output. These holes and the the snout above the prop are primarily for exhast. The flow of exhast limits the water flow, if I read the other comments right.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

rg33, the water should splatter/spray out of there pretty good, not a solid stream, but more than a few drops.<br /><br />Probably time for a new waterpump, or atleast the impeller.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a similar motor, and when it's on muffs it gives a fine spray(but more than just drops) and when it's in the water is very strong and noticeable.

printmanp

Cadet

I was going to mention the same thing. When mine is on muffs it doesn't spray out a whole lot but when it is in the lake it sprays out 2 strong streams of water.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought an impeller and will put it on tomorrow. Had muffs on and have had it in a tub of water with no water flow as has been described here.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

When you install it check out the inside of the water pump and make sure it is not pitted. Put the impeller on the impeller key and push the water pump down on the impeller with a good deal of force while slowly turning the driveshaft clockwise by hand till water pump is seated. Vane direction is very important on the impeller in order for it to work correctly. It is sometimes easier to do this with a bit of dish soap or lower unit lube on the inside of the water pump.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do and will note results.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

rg33, did you see the tread on the get together we are having?<br />You don't need a personal invite to attend, but here one is.<br /><br />"You are invited to attend the get together."<br /><br />It looks like about 30+ of us will be getting together on June 24th weekend. Some just for the day, some for the weekend.<br /><br />Here is the link to the info.<br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=013211#000000 <br /><br />The thread is 5 pages long now, so sit back and read it, and let us know if you are interested.

Butch Algier

Recruit

Need assistant on water pump replacement on a Forcer 90 3 cyl. Can anyone give step by step guidance on taking lower unit off to access water pump and replacement procedures.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Big Butch<br />bnbalgier@charter.net

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Hello bigbutch and welcome to Iboats. You should start a new thread for this subject. It will get move visibility that way. When you get to the Chrysler/force forum there should be a button on the very bottom of the screen that says post a new topic. Click on that and ask your question. Make sure you add if it is force or chrysler, the year of the motor the HP and the model number if you have it.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lower unit off, impeller replaced less than an hour. Re-install lower unit, help. I am by myself, can get it up to the point where the water pump and cavatation plate are aligned. goes no further. Is this the hit or miss part where I keep moving the magneto plate?

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:D water, I got water, raining out of the two holes. Thank you thank you everyone. The impeller was down to two vanes, housing looked good with no piting or damage. Got someone to rock the magneto and it slid right in :cool: