Impeller changed, now there is no neutral, It's in gear.....

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
140 HP Mercruiser serial #3129102, Stern Drive (MC-1) serial # 2073371 , I changed the inpeller and put lower unit back on drive, Now when starting motor it is in gear and shift handle is in upright netural position. Does not have a neutral(?)
Did put the lower unit back on wrong? Something I didn't do?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Impeller changed, now there is no neutral, It's in gear.....

Raise the drive and see if the shift shafts are hooked together like this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shift shaft by Ziggy.jpg
    Shift shaft by Ziggy.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Ah, spring must be coming and the shift questions have returned, don't you guys ever learn (sorry old joke) LOL. Do as don says and take a look. OK is the control lever jammed jammed? If it is you got the intermediate shift shaft in "off a spline". In other words the the gearhousing was not in forward gear when you put it on. If the control moves back and forth easily and the upper and intermediate shift shafts are not coupled as in the photo, then you are either missing the washer that goes under the I ss or it is bent. Let us know and will tell you how to get it right.:D

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was not able to join the gearhousing parts into the proper position, I had to take off the upper part of the drive unit but the upper drive unit gasket has broke into pieces I need a new gasket and "O" ring and I'm not sure of the corect part numbers for my 140 HP Mercruiser serial #3129102, Stern Drive (MC-1) serial # 2073371 . What part numbers please?

Pete104

Lieutenant

Practice never hurt anyone. You don't need a new gasket for practice!
You could screw up 12 gaskets!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I was not able to join the gearhousing parts into the proper position,

Was this the cause of the original shifting problem? Still intrigued as to what happened (so I dont repeat it). First time I read the original post I immediately thought "off a spline".

Bondo

Staff member

Originally Posted by Jim Robbins
I was not able to join the gearhousing parts into the proper position,

Was this the cause of the original shifting problem? Still intrigued as to what happened (so I dont repeat it). First time I read the original post I immediately thought "off a spline".

Ayuh,... I'd guess yer right,... The lower is off by a spline,... or two.... or three....

Jim,.... Put the controller in the boat in Forward,...

Shift the lower unit to Forward, 'n Hold it there,...(I use a Bungee strap)

Then assemble it, All in Forward gear...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It is a pretty straight forward diagnosis. If off a spline, when you try to shift the control out of forward, it will be jammed, and you will be in N or R. If you left the washer (that goes under the intermediate shift shaft) off (or it is bent) the intermediate ss drop down and will not mate with the upper ss coupler (see photo) and you can move the control back and forth easily, but it will not shift. not much else to go wrong with the alpha 1 if you only dropped the gearhousing.