Impeller change problem...1964 Merc 50hp

Cpt.Justice

Cadet
I have a 1964 Merc 50hp serial#1717021. Ok, today I went to change the impeller and noticed 3 of the fins were sheared off. I went to remove the impeller and it wouldn't budge. I looked closer at it and noticed it had spun on the shaft and was no longer in alignment with the retaining key. Does anyone know how this could happen? I looked at the key itself, once I got the impeller off, and it does look a bit rounded but looks like a perfect fit to both the shaft and the impeller. Is this normal? Lastly, does anyone know where I can get a replacement retaining key? I think I would like to replace the key also, being that I'm already in there. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Impeller change problem...1964 Merc 50hp

The key comes with the pump kit you get from mercury, or available separately.

Not unusual to appear a bit strange when first viewed.

Sometimes a short round rod is used as a key, and sometimes it's a flat curved humped thing. Either way they bot work equally well.

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as the water pump being spun out of alignment I've done it pumping louisiana silt through the motor. I hope the tips that were sheared off don't cause you any problems . I am not familar with a 64 merc but on other models I've been able to attach a hose to the water tube pull the t-stats and flush pieces out . If it doesn't run hot I wouldn't worry about . If so buy some gaskets and start wrenching.

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

Yepblaze...mine appears to be the short round rod type. If it comes with the pump kit that will be great, as I am going to have to get one, I destroyed a gasket in the process of taking off the impeller. Thanks for all your info!

Prolinews...Fortunately, I found all three tips just sitting in the bottom of the pump and was able to get them out with no problems. Thanks for your help!