Impeller change / overheating / milky gear oil

bucksy99

Cadet
Hello all. I am pretty new to boating and just finished my first season.
During the last few trips the engine started to overheat sporadically during slow speeds in the canals. When I increased the speed, the temperature started to go down slowly.
Now with the boat out of the water, I did change the impeller and all the seals that came with the water pump rebuild kit.
The coupling to the water tube was slightly melted. Also the seal on top of the water pump around the drive shaft was completely missing.
The impeller itself was not in bad shape, but I replaced it anyway.

My question is, what caused the coupling to melt and where did the problem start?
Did the exhaust gases melt the coupling and with that the water loss at that spot the water pump couldnt keep up with the cooling demand, or was there a problem with the water pump that caused the over heating?
Also, the gear oil was milky. I assume that this is due to the missing seal around the shaft. Is that correct?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

1995 A1G2

alldodge

Staff member
If the impeller is not pumping sufficient water then exhaust gases can back up and melt the tube

The missing seal can causes issues, but to find out if the drive is sealed, pressurize the drive prior to filling with gear lube. Pressure should be no mor then 10 psi and do rotate the prop and drive shaft during test. The complete how to is in the stickys in the Adult only section. Find a link in my sig