Impeller Change flushing question

Even Flow2

Cadet
I am getting ready to change the impeller on my 2002 volvo penta 3.0GS (Glastron SX 175). The boat only overheats when you run the RPM's about 3800-4000 RPM. I think it is the impeller as I bought the boat used this year and have no idea when it was last changed. I am guessing some of the veins are gone or it is just very worn since the temp seems fine at low speed.

My question is on back flusing the exit hose that leaves the impeller housing. Assuming I find broken veins when I get it apart, I want to flush the most common area that the broken rubber pieces might find a home. My thought is that I would remove the water hose on the right side of the engine (looking at it from inside boat) at a point where the rubber hose meets a metal pintersection piece. my plan is to hook a garden hose or even an air compresser to it to try to flush out any potential pieces. I couldn't attach a picture as it was too big, but this seemed like the easiest access point as it is high on the engine block and I would be flusing straight down. Is this a good place to unhook and flush? I did see some other lines coming out of this intersection so I want to make sure I don't cause any issue. Feedback appreciated on how to flush from a fairly easy access point or a point common to collect debris from an impeller.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Impeller Change flushing question

I'm thinking that should work fine. Its really not HOW you get the pieces out, but that you do.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impeller Change flushing question

... I couldn't attach a picture as it was too big, but this seemed like the easiest access point as it is high on the engine block and I would be flusing straight down. Is this a good place to unhook and flush? I did see some other lines coming out of this intersection so I want to make sure I don't cause any issue. Feedback appreciated on how to flush from a fairly easy access point or a point common to collect debris from an impeller.

1. A picture would help...get a jpeg shrinking program here

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/JPG-4-Email.shtml

2. Look at the cooling diagram on the manual for your engine model, which you can get at the top of this forum, under ADULTS ONLY...

3. Your back-flushing should work...