impeller and hot motor

bob519

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I really appreciate the great information I can find here. I recently purchased an old Lonestar Malibu with Johnson Javelin 30 hp. The previous owner said he had it on the lake this summer but I'm not so sure. This is my first boat so I am no expert but I do know my way around a small engine. I did some work on it and managed to get it running. It has lots of compression and appears to run strong but I didn't run it very long because it did not circulate very much water. The engine got too hot to touch. I did run it with muffs and a garden hose. So I am attempting to drop the bottom end so I can inspect the impeller but after removing all 7 bolts it will only drop about 2 - 3 inches. It appears that something in the shift linkage is holding it back. What am I not disconnecting? Also, please tell me that I haven't ruined anything by running it without enough water circulating.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: impeller and hot motor

To start off what I beautiful motor, I love the Javelins.

You cannot run that motor on your conventional muffs that you would use for modern outboards. If you do not have the special attachment, you will need to run it in a barrel of water or on the boat.

You need to disconnect the shift rod before you can get the lower unit to drop. On the port (left) side of the leg there will be a 1x2 oval access panel. Remove that, and you will see the shift rod disconnect. Remove the lower screw from the coupler and the lower unit will now fully slide down.

bob519

Cadet

Excellent. Now I've got it apart. Unfortunately now I've lost the pin that keeps the impeller from spinning on the shaft. Anyhow, the impeller isn't in great shape so I'll replace it and check out the bottom gears while I have it apart. I haven't got the bottom completely apart yet, but the shaft will spin an entire 1/2 turn before the gears will engage so I expect to see some pretty worn gears. I sure hope I haven't screwed anything up when it got hot. It didn't run for more than 45 seconds or a minute tops. The motor still turns ok so I'll cross my fingers. When I ran it, it did manage to circulate some water but next time I'll run it in a barrel. And yes it is a super cool looking retro motor. I picked up the entire package for $300 so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not the first one to lose the pin. Im sure its around if you have a look on the ground, couldnt have gotten far. If not it is not a high dollar item by any means.

If you are going to go to the trouble of pulling the gearcase apart, may want to consider a re seal while you are in there.

Have you checked compression when you got it or after she got hot?

How is the chrome on it? Any pics?

bob519

Cadet

Here is a pic of the hood. My boys and I spent last weekend stripping and painting it. This is going to be our winter project. I don't have a compression tester, but it is hard as heck to crank with the pull cord(easy with the plugs out). I'll see what the gears look like and might as well get a bottom end kit and replace everything.

Attachments

• IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Bob. Great looking motor you got there. Try removing the plugs and squirting a little fuel oil mix into the cylinders to help lube things up a bit. Better yet, lay the motor flat and and spray some Sea Foam, or Deep Creep into the cylinders and let it sit for a few hours, or days, if you can spare it. Go out and slowly pull the motor over a few times a day and it should free up quite a bit. If you get compression over 65 pis per cylinder and they're with in 10% of each other, then you should be good to go. The numbers will probably get better once the motor has had a chance to warm up, and/or if you use a starter to turn it over. Here are some handy links links. Keep us posted. We love pics!

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277190&highlight=lower+unit+seal+kit+installation

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Looks great! You got a great deal.

What paint did you go with?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Dont think his powerhead is stuck KFA, that is just normal compression for a big twin. Lucky they have electric starters!

I spent the afternoon pulling over an old OK 15....I lost alot of skin on the old rope and wooden handles from back then. ;)

bob519

Cadet

it spins pretty easy with the plugs out but not with them in. Thank goodness I was able to clean up the starter and get that working. I actually used Duplicolor from a rattle can and lots of coats of duplicolor clear. Once it was cured I wet sanded it and the shine really came out. I'll see how that paint holds up next spring. it it does I'll repaint the rest with it otherwise I'll just get the proper factory color and redo the whole thing.

bob519

Cadet

Does anybody know of a good source for parts, bearings, carb kits etc?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Bob. You can get coils, points and condensers, impellers, carb kits, seal kits, water pump, fuel pump rebuild kits and tons of other stuff right here at iboats. Just click on the MARINE STORE tab in the upper left hand corner. There's even a search feature that allows you to use the model year and/or horse power rating to look up the parts you need. Bearings may be a little harder to track down, but ebay, amazon and marineengnie.com, aomci.com are all good places to start. This link(s) should get you started.

http://www.iboats.com/Outboard-Moto...8022263--**********.811642917--view_id.268656

This is the closest parts catalog I could find.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/376750/37675000001.htm

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Do you have a picture of your boat? I have a Lone Star Newport, myself.

bob519

Cadet

Here are a couple pics from the day I got her. It's getting a hull buff right now. Boy that's hard work but it will look great when it's done.

Attachments

• IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0062.jpg
    IMAG0062.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I haven't got the bottom completely apart yet, but the shaft will spin an entire 1/2 turn before the gears will engage so I expect to see some pretty worn gears.

Perfectly normal behavior. I wouldn't tear into the gearcase unless it leaks.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Nice buy!!!

I was able to get 120 psi evenly with my 30 HP Seahorse using a drill motor. My motor does not have a starter, and I wasn't willing to try & pull start.

Some will discourage using a drill motor on the flywheel nut, but I always make reference marks on the flywheel nut and flywheel to check for displacement. I have not found any movement using this method having one spark plug removed...plus I always remove the flywheel and properly torque after compression testing.

Mas

bob519

Cadet

Excellent. Now I've got it apart. Unfortunately now I've lost the pin that keeps the impeller from spinning on the shaft. Anyhow, the impeller isn't in great shape so I'll replace it and check out the bottom gears while I have it apart. I haven't got the bottom completely apart yet, but the shaft will spin an entire 1/2 turn before the gears will engage so I expect to see some pretty worn gears. I sure hope I haven't screwed anything up when it got hot. It didn't run for more than 45 seconds or a minute tops. The motor still turns ok so I'll cross my fingers. When I ran it, it did manage to circulate some water but next time I'll run it in a barrel. And yes it is a super cool looking retro motor. I picked up the entire package for $300 so I thought it was a pretty good deal.
y

ok, I've finally replaced the impeller. While I was in there I replaced the prop shaft bearings and all the seals and gaskets since the crankcase was full of lake water. I also rebuilt the carb and replaced the points and condensors. Anyhow, now I can get it running pretty good and once it warms up it's not so smokey. problem is, after it runs for a couple minutes it gets really hot. to hot to touch(even the lower is too hot to touch). I am pretty sure that it is pumping water as the water barrel is churning and splashing water everywhere.(no, it's is not in gear).

Should it be running this hot? It eventually dies and will not run again until it cools off.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you cannot hold your hand on the head for a 3 count, she is too hot.

Is water exiting the exhaust relief hole just above the water line? Speaking of which, you do have the water high enough in the barrel right? The water pump needs to be completely submerged, it is not self priming, which means to have the water line just beneath the exhaust relief.

bob519

Cadet

If you cannot hold your hand on the head for a 3 count, she is too hot.

Is water exiting the exhaust relief hole just above the water line? Speaking of which, you do have the water high enough in the barrel right? The water pump needs to be completely submerged, it is not self priming, which means to have the water line just beneath the exhaust relief.

does the water exit from the exhaust? I only had the water line covering the water intake port just above the prop. I'll try it higher.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes it does. You found your problem, raise the water line much higher, just beneath the exhasut relief like I mentioned and she should pump like a hydrant. Let us know how it goes.

bob519

Cadet

Yes it does. You found your problem, raise the water line much higher, just beneath the exhasut relief like I mentioned and she should pump like a hydrant. Let us know how it goes.

She's pumpin now!!! yaaaayyyy. Now I'm outta gas. be back shortly to let ya know how it turned out.