Impeller - 97 4.3 GL Volvo SX Cobra

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. <br />Here are a couple questions. Just replaced my impeller after overheating last weekend. When I pulled the old impeller out there were only 6 out of 12 paddles left and of the 6 remaining, all had pieces missing. I did find one paddle stuck in the pump also. I installed the new impeller, lubed it with glycerine, bent the paddles so the pump can turn counter clockwise and bolted it back in the boat. Here are my questions.<br /><br />1) How concerned should I be with the missing pieces? If I did not find any in the thermostat housing, should I assume that they passed? Should I cross that bridge if I have cooling issues afterwards?<br /><br />2) The kit comes with 4 gaskets and you pick the one for your application. Mine was a thin foam gasket. Instructions say to use sealant on the gasket. What sealant should be used? There did not appear to be anything used on the old gasket. Dealer said they do not use sealant. I did not use sealant.<br /><br />3) Was told that the belt should have a 1/4" of deflection. Any one have any hints on how to put enough tension on the pump housing to get the belt tight enough? Not much room to get anything down around the pump in the bilge.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.<br /><br />John.<br /><br />Lesson learned: I'm not the original owner of the boat, but still not an excuse. From the looks of the paint on the pump housing, this was the original impeller. 8 years on the impeller, should have been changed 4 times by now. Guess it's never safe to assume. I meant to do it last season, but you know how it goes sometimes. This is definitely one case where the adage "If it aint broke, don't fix it" does not apply. :D

youmansjason

Seaman
Re: Impeller - 97 4.3 GL Volvo SX Cobra

Hey, I've got the exact same engine in my '97 Four Winns. I just bought my boat this spring and replaced the impellor myself. Mine was in a little better shape as mine was only missing about 2-3 paddles. I found 1 of them stuck in the thermostat, but the others....who knows. I hope they passed through.<br /><br />For the sealant, I didn't use any on mine, and it hasn't leaked any for 2 months. <br /><br />For getting the belt tight, I used a long wrench as a pry bar to pivot the pump housing away far enough to get the belt good and tight. It was extremely difficult. My arms were are bruised up from trying to get to the pump.<br /><br />Good luck!

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Jason.<br /><br />You said you used wrench as a pry bar, did you just pry between the two bibs that the hoses connect to? If so, not sure I have enough room to do so. Also was concerned about cracking the housing by prying there.<br /><br />My boat is a 97 Larson 186 SEI.<br /><br />Thanks for the advice.

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got burned on an impellor failure on my 2000 four winns 190 Sx. I think i had on paddle left.... :( <br /><br />Anyway, anyone had the thermostat housing apart? My boat seem to run at 180 F (always has... I think the guage is crap)<br /><br />What is the engine suppost to run at?

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry my reply is so late. Have been out of touch for a while.<br /><br />I just replaced my thermostat at the beginning of the summer. I had the opposite problem, mine would never warm up. The thermostat is 160 degrees and with the new one my boat ran about 165 - 175 degrees depending one how much I was working it (depending on how accurate the guage is), that is until my impeller went out, then it hit about 250.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />John