Imagination and ideas wanted

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Some time ago I was in a discussion with Opps and others about using a computer to drive all the instrumentation on a boat. I picked up a used 30' tritoon last week (still have to go get it) on the cheap that is in decent condition except the furniture so I will be replacing all of it including the helm station. The helm is generic and I have to install all the guages, etc. so I think its a perfect opportunity to go with the computer system and a flat panel display designed for use in sunlight.

So far I plan to have two flat panel (touch) displays at the helm, one for engine/boat management and the other for navigation, water depth, fish finder, etc. The PC I have set up to use is an older Quad Core Intel based machine with 12 Gig of RAM and a terabyte hard drive all in a water tight enclosure.

Obviously this PC can handle a lot more than just these two monitors so I have installed two video cards (ATI) that are dual display so I can attach a total of 4 hires monitors. I stuck a BlueRay drive in it that will handle BlueRay, DVDs, and CDs. It also has 4 USB ports available for things like memory sticks, cameras, etc. I went with a 200 Gig SSD (solid state device) hard drive for the operating system in order to provide fast bootup. (Boot up takes less than 10 seconds from a cold reboot.) There is also a thumb print reader I plan to use instead of an ignition switch and user ID. Finally, a voltage invertor with a small battery backup (and power filter) that should run the system for 15 minutes or so should the boats main battery go dead.

So, that leaves me with what to do next or what to include in the system. One thought is using an older 1024 x 768 hi lumes projector I have for watching video/TV. (I have a nice portable "pull down" type of screen I can mount fairly easily.) I know it will be a hit at the local "party cove" with all my family and friends that are sports nuts.

So here is what I need, ideas on what other features would be of interest. If the sky is the limit, what other electronics would you want on a boat? What new ideas would you like you have not seen before or what overly expensive things that can be done on the existing PC to reduce costs.

Things I am kicking around:

3-G Cell Phone Adapter for Phone and Internet access
Self aligning satelitte dish for TV.

Things I am doing with engine/boat management:

Replace the standard guages across the board and display them on screen.
More monitoring systems than usual including;
Fuel flow
Exhaust Temps.
Oil Temp
Voltage and Amperage draw
Detonation dectection
Lower End Temperature
History of all engine readouts (Stored every 10 - 15 secs to hard drive.)
Use the thumb print reader to set operating limits. (Set max. speed)

Open to any and all ideas!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Imagination and ideas wanted

As for engine management monitoring, what engine are we talking about and what do you intend to use for sensors (lower unit temp, detonation detection, fuel flow, etc). Some newer EFI/DFI engines have an ecm that can provide some of the raw data, but detonation detection and lower unit temp are not included. Granted temp sensors are available but where to mount it so it doesn't get ripped off may pose an issue. A carbureted two stroke outboard has no ECM and therefore cannot provide any data other than overheat and perhaps oil related alarms. On a four stroke you will want to monitor oil pressure, water temp and water pressure. The sender for water pressure can be any transducer than can measure 0 - 30 PSI. No sense going higher than that.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Make sure to interface all external signals and interfaces to the PC properly for this kind of installation, or this may be a short-lived experiment. This will no longer be a consumer grade residential application, so all bets are off when it comes to vibration, shock, ESD, temperature extremes, supply corruption, etc. Plan and design for bad things to happen. Think "Industrial Controller" and you'll be close. For a good test of what the PC will have to withstand, drop it onto a concrete floor from 24". That will simulate the shock that slamming through a wave on a boat will put on the PC components.
Sounds like a good idea, but make sure the execution is done correctly. The solid state drive is an excellent start. All of the optical drives and mounting HW need to be of the highest quality, shock rated, and isolated. The motherboard need to be industrial grade, waterproof enclosure or not. It will still condense inside of the case unless it is hermetically sealed. Putting a computer together from consumer grade material and expecting it to perform like industrial or MIL spec gear is a bit much, but that is what I'd want running vital systems on my boat.
Sorry to seem so negative, but I get paid to design comm systems for harsh environments. Optimism can get folks killed in my job if my stuff doesn't work......

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I agree. I've been designing systems for harsh environments for some time. (Longer than I like to recall. :D )

Cool. Just didn't want to see ya build a neat system, then have it crap out on you in 3 months in the middle of the lake. At night. In a 30 mph wind. That would be bad.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

did someone say imagination?......

lol

hi bubba !......how the heck are ya bud?......i dont know how i missed it but today i got your pm about the county inspector.......im still laughing !:D

one of the things i want to see on a craft is a solar powered gps. this unit would report position to the owners cell phone if the craft ventures out of a designited area....(anti theft device) i know they allready have them, but in a system like you are talking it would be manditory for trailer sized boats.

if sucessful .....a system like you are desigining could be sold to yacht manufacturers.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

For small small boating (trailer boats) I'd look into designing an interface to a laptop. The interface box stays in the boat all of the time and the laptop plugs into the interface. Could use a combination of Cardbus and USB for the interface.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I wasn't referring to the particular implementation that you're doing; it was another idea for a different scenario where you would want to take the PC out of the boat when storing it. I take all of my electronics out of my boat when it's in the driveway or they won't be there in the morning.
Something like this:
CF-19-head-on.jpg