I'm really new at this...

novelles

Seaman Apprentice
...so I would appreciate some help.<br /><br />I bought a 1996 Bayliner 1851 last year and I have no idea on how to do some basic repairs. :confused: <br /><br />First, it has some hits on the hull, and the clear colour (almost white) is gone and you can see the fiber glass. How to repair this?<br /><br />Second, the lower part of the hull is (well it really was sometime)red. Should I polish (how?) or use a colour restorer?<br /><br />Third, some aluminium parts of the windshield have a hard solid salty look. Anyway to solve that?<br /><br />And finally, different parts on the inside of the boat (bilge, chest) have rust stains I can't remove. Could I paint this parts? If so, what kind of paint may I use?<br /><br />I know I should surf the forum for answers but I have no time and english is no my native language. I hope you would understand this. ;) <br /><br />Thank you all.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: I'm really new at this...

Sorry, but I can't help you with the fiberglass repairs. You could try the "project boats forum".<br /><br />Yes you can polish the fiberglass.<br />A good automobile polish will work. You may have to buff it quite a bit.<br /><br />I would try an auto parts store for a cleaner for the aluminum. Or perhaps try a calcium and lime remover, similar to those used to clean bathtubs.<br /><br />Yes you can paint the bilge area. Make sure it is completely dry. I would use a quality enamel paint.<br /><br />Your english is better than most American's.

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info.<br /><br />I already tried last year to polish the red area of fiber glass but I guess it was not enough because it lost the shiny look very fast, probably because of salty water and too much sun. I'll polish harder this year and I'll use some wax protection.<br /><br />For the aluminum I've tried lime removers but they do nothing to it. I'll try some other product.<br /><br />About english, just to tell you that living in the States for nine months helps. It was more than ten years ago but I hope I'm able to visit againgo this year.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

SB,<br /><br />Try using LYME A WAY it is like a CLR type product but I have found it works better. This should clean up rust stains without much effort.<br /><br />If you don't remove the oxydation on the hull prior to waxing you have increased your problems. Start with a rubbing compound, very fine, then go to a 3 step system. The best I have found is from McGuires, but the 3M product is well liked.<br /><br />Try going to the following web site for Gelcoat repair:<br /><br /> http://www.cris.com/~westsys/gel-rep.shtml <br /><br />this should give you some direction.<br /><br />Pointer

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

SB, Sounds like your aluminum windshield parts are corroded, oxidized. You may need to remove the crust with a wire wheel on a drill or grinder then apply a clearcoat to the bare aluminum to protect it from future salt and corrosion. If the aluminum is pitted and ugly you could prime and paint it after removing all of the corrosion. A lot of boats have black windshield frames.<br /><br />If you are operating in salt you may want to find out more about your sacrificial anodes on your engine or outdrive, try to clean off the salt from everywhere as often as you can.<br /><br />Are your rust stains coming from rusted screws, bolts or other fasteners? You could prevent future stains by replacing the offending fasteners with stainless types.<br /><br />Check out the project boats section of this forum for some fiberglass info, there is some great info in there! Good Luck!!

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot for the replies, they are very helpful. As soon as weather gets warmer I will start restoration works. For now I will start searching for available products in my area.

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm confused, the red part, is it just below the water line? If so, it's antifoul paint that would need to be repainted. Most Bayliners are white/blue....

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Mike, the red colour is just above water line. My Bayliner is the "Capri 1851 SS" and is white (well it's really light cream colour) on the top and red at the bottom of the hull. Bellow the water line is got black antifouling paint. The red part looks bad, starting to turn pinky. It got better last year after some polishing but after summer season looks bad again. Sun really "eats" red colour.

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, not confused anymore!<br /><br />I have had good luck with a product called Colinite Fleetwax. You need to use a good rubbing compound first to remove the oxidation that is there. Then apply the Colinite in small areas, wiping off immediately. It's pretty labor intensive, use a polisher. The results are great, and lasts longer than just wax.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Colinite products are excellent! Found them at my local Mercruiser dealer when I went for a parts run. I saw them putting this stuff on one of those Donzi racing boats. Figured if it made that boat look great it might help my bowrider a bit! I use their fiberglass cleaner and boat wax every season, and my boat looks great. I used to think my gel coat was white. It was actually oxidized. Truth be told it was really cream color. This stuff really brought the boat back, it has a "wet look" shine now. Something to look into....

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

That product sounds great. I'll look for it here. This spring I will plan taking the boat out of the water for at least 15 days so I have enough time to deeply rub the fiberglass to remove oxidation. Then I will apply the fleetwax. I hope it gets the "shiny look" I'm looking for.<br /><br />Thanks a lot.