I'm Lost to what to check for

wvubeerman

Cadet
Hello all,

I feel like I have tried to go through all the electrical parts and see what the issue is of why i cant even get a click to occur. I have turned the key and got power out of it from the actual ignition and I have tested the solenoid and seem to be getting the power out of it, so i am thinking I have safety button issues. I have some pictures of what I think some of these breakers look like, but I am amazed how much electrical stuff this 1973 Larson has on it. Here are some pictures, if anyone can explain to me what each of these switches are for and if one of these could be the reason why i cant even see if this boat will turn over to know if it is worth trying to fix up or not.

Thanks all.

IMAG0312.jpgIMAG0377.jpgIMAG0378.jpg

benninj

Cadet
Re: I'm Lost to what to check for

Pictures 1 and 2 in your second post are of the shift interrupter switch, this switch will ground the coil and prevent the motor from running if it is bad or is completing the circuit. It will not however prevent you from turning over the motor.

Have you tested your power at the starter to make sure that you have adequate power for it to engage and crank the motor over? How much voltage do you have at all of the points that you have tested? What do all of your battery, switch, starter, etc. connections look like? Have you disconnected them and cleaned them in re-installed in order to ensure a good positive connections? Start with these simple things and work your way up. Not getting enough juice to the starter or even a bad starter could be reasons that you cannot crank over the motor. Have you had your battery tested to make sure you don't have a dead cell or that it has adequate cranking amps?

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Easy place to start. Connect a jumper wire from - to starter casing. Connect a jumper wire from + on the battery and touch positive lead on starter. If it turns, work backwards from connections to battery. If not, you know you need a good starter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

None of your pictures have anything to do with the starting system, only the shift interrupt system on the ignition, nothing with starting.

What engine do you have? it's too old to look up by serial number.

wvubeerman

Cadet

Don,

It is a mercrusier engine, but it is an old ford 302 I think. My next thing to look at was hook up the battery to the starter. I have replaced the starter and also the solenoid. I am pretty good at fixing up engines on mowers, but i also don't usually have to deal with all these safety swtiches and this much electrical stuff, which i'm an idiot about.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you actually check with a meter or test light to see if you have any power getting to the solenoid on the engine from the key switch? You have to check the yellow wire from the ign. switch to the slave solenoid. Also make sure the base of the slave solenoid is grounded. If it isn't, it won't work.

Here is the wiring diagram for your engine. http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=164975&stc=1&d=1345562957

View attachment 888 wiring.pdf (1).pdf