I'm guessing it's the CD unit... 75hp

camfrogg

Cadet
I've got a '78 Chrysler 75hp with a Magnapower (Motorola II) ignition - Ran fine in the driveway last time I tried, then after going inside for a few minutes, came back and it was a no-go. Crank it forever, turns out there's no spark at the plugs.<br /><br />I haven't done any testing on it yet to see where there is and isn't power - I'll be tackling that tomorrow, probably. All I've done so far is clean the distributor points. Just thought I'd start getting opinions now.<br /><br />Good news is that I've gotten my hands on an entire motor electrical system from a parted-out engine. I'm guessing I'll find that the CD unit is gone, but I'm thinking it could be the coil (or both) as well. I haven't ruled anything out though.<br /><br />I have a Clymer manual for the thing and it only gives testing procedures for the CD unit and coil if you go buy a cd tester and a coil tester. I'm looking for ways to test either or both, using everyday shop tools. Any suggestions? Thanks...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: I'm guessing it's the CD unit... 75hp

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />The coil can be tested with an ohmmeter. I don't have any specs. But I doubt it's the coil. Go ahead and swap. That's easy enough. I don't think you can test much on the amplifier. I'd save swapping that for last. Or just do both right off the bat and be done with it. Good luck.

camfrogg

Cadet

Anybody know the resistance value or any other specs for my coil, leads, etc?

camfrogg

Cadet

Well, it turns out that the CD unit was bad, it looks like. Went ahead and replaced the coil with it so I wouldn't burn up a good CD unit with a bad coil, just in case. Sparks are bright as can be, and she starts right up!