I'm getting tired of this motor, please help!

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
I just got it for 500.00 we went out 1 time and it ran great then it got worse and worse with the boging down and then shuttin off. I've gotton help from alot of poeple on the com here and freinds and calling around. I've got the fact that is could be gummed up or just need to be rebuilt so i decided to clean it today and the rebuild kit will be here tommorrow. I just cleaned it with a rage, wire and no cleaner cause i didn't want to mess it up any. I was very very careful and it's not really brain surgery to do it. I notcied that sand was built up at the bottom of the float bowl so i cleaned it out and put at the screws back in carefully and tight. Then all of the sudden it was spraying gas when i pumped the ball out of the jet bowl vent ( the little screw with the hole in it. Thankfully my dad stopped it but now it's leaking bad from the main nozzle screw on the bottom and the throttle shaft all on the bottom, not counting the gas coming out the front ( but it's tilted). The main prob. is i didn't now what this was at first but the idle pin thing it didn't put in right and now when we pull the string it's reved up way way high and we tried to adjust it and it would either conk out or idle real and i don't know the settings. I sorry it's so long but i just got this friggin' motor have been out on it for 30 minutes, have already had to come in 3 times cause right when we leave the dock and try to give it power is bogs out and it's just very very frustrating man. I spent alot of money and know i'm as lost as a crack addict. PLease help! Thanks it's a 35hp 1985 mercury ser# 0B149149 some of you have gotton used to seeing me lol. I've also looked up the archives but i couldn't find nothing!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: I'm getting tired of this motor, please help!

First you need to work from a manual.<br />It sure sounds like your in over your head.<br /> Not a knock, my lawn mower stumped me the other day.I was too tight to buy a carb kit so I put her to the curb.<br /> First thing to check is the float, you need to be sure it is installed and adjusted right.<br /> Be sure all gaskets and seals are installed right.Operate the throttle and watch the<br />butterfly to be sure it opens and closes right.<br /> If the carb is flooding it will be difficult to control the speed.It may bog until some of the<br />gas burns off and then it may race.<br /> Good luck.