I'm buying a Stingray

Catch_KC

Recruit
I'm looking to buy my first boat, a 2001 Stingray 200CS. I haven't seen the boat in person, just online photos, but I'm heading to the dealership in a few days to check it out and test drive it. They're asking $11,900, it has 192 hours on it, and it has the 5.0 Volvo Penta engine.

So my question to all you Stingray savvy folks out there, is there anything I should look for specifically? Any problem areas that I should be aware of? Is $12K a fair price?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

Original engine? 10 hours per year isn't much usage. Might have been sitting for a while.

Seems a bit pricey.

There is a buyers checklist in the sticky's that you can refer to. Those are the things to look for specifically. Boats tend to have a high variability in terms of where the problems are, except that they all tend to rot out from the keel upward. (I think gravity has something to do with that :D )

Catch_KC

Recruit
Thanks for the reply Tpenfield. I'm not sure if engine is original or not, I'd guess that it is but will still ask. The 192hrs is shown on the ticker, so I'm assuming that's just total usage time. 1 good thing that the boat has going for it is location... it's in Lake Havasu City, so it's been sitting in a dry climate when not on the water and I'm sure its never seen salt water during it's 192hrs of use.

I'll keep an eye out for keel rot, and thank you for the tip on the buyers checklist sticky.