I'm Back! (UPDATED)

eeboater

Commander
Well, I'm back from what I can honestly say is one of the most beautiful and relaxing places on earth. The last week in Alaska was without a doubt the best vacation I've ever been on.<br /><br />The sights were beautiful and the people were tremendously friendly!!! <br /><br />The two highlights of the trip was visiting (and touching) the glacier just outside of Seward. Also, the Safari Jeep Tour on Stampede trail outside of Denali was AWESOME. I'll have to write more details later. 11 days away from work is a little too much --- lots of stuff stacked up.<br /><br />Sean

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: I'm Back! (UPDATED)

You touched the glacier...you probably just unleashed a biblical eco-disaster that the earth will never recover from :p <br /><br />Welcome back ee ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Welcome ee, the Alaskan State Police were wondering if you were back yet, they failed to say why, but strongly recommended you put the Eskimos back where you found them!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

ee<br /> Hope ya had sense enough to wear gloves when ya groped the glacier.....JIC the glacier police dust for prints.

D

DJ

ee,<br /><br />How dare you touch one of mother earths resources. We all know that is to be left to our representatives from Green Peace arriving in jets, helicopters and black Suburbans. ;) <br /><br />Next time, get a DVD.<br /><br />Welcome back! :)

eeboater

Commander

haha! Not only did I touch it.. but I kicked it a few times, you know, the ole' "how hard is this stuff?" test!<br /><br />And I got it all on video :D <br /><br /><br />Sean

D

DJ

And I got it all on video
I would keep the blinds closed and an eyeball in between. ;) Be looking for the black suits.

KaGee

Admiral

GreenPeace is on the way to trash EE's Jeep as we speak! :p <br /><br />Welcome back Bro!

eeboater

Commander

Them tree thumpers better think twice about messing with my Jeep!!!!!!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Welcome back double E, now you really got me thinking towards next years vaction in AK. Wife asked me last night about going there. I have a buddy that retired out of the Air Force in Anchorage. So it would be cool to drop in on him.<br /><br />Got any pics to post? Tell us more,,,, did you do any fishing?

aspeck

Staff member

Now that ee put his mitts on the glacier, it will melt, the ocean will rise 2 feet and LA, San Fran, NYC, DC, Miami, Galveston, etc. will all be wiped out, and we will know who to blame. IT WAS ALL SEAN'S FAULT!

eeboater

Commander

If I had known of the cataclysmic damage I would have generated by doing that...<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />I would have stayed longer and kicked it some more :D <br /><br />SS -- I HIGHLY Reccomend that you go there next year. I am going to post pics. But, if you want, drop me a note and I can give you more details on our trip (kind of a trip log on what we did).<br /><br />My email is newvonet at gmail.com<br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

Alrighty here's some images of our trip!! I have uploaded them to my image store site in 5 groups. Originally, I was going to organize them by day – which is how I was uploading them last night. But then I realized today that the pictures were taken on a camera with the time set to Central Standard Time instead of Alaska Time. So, some of the pictures are actually from the previous day. Sorry, geek tangent. It happens. Anyway, long story short – its going to take me 3.67 years to organize all 614 pictures taken.<br /><br />About our Trip<br /><br />We were in Alaska for a total of 8 days (depart 6/10 arrive late on 6/18). We traveled by 32’ RV throughout Alaska. I was the lucky guy driving all the time so I had a great view the whole way. Although, being in an RV, the passengers were sitting up high with big windows so they could see pretty well. We went with my parent as well as my two brothers. If you are going to travel in Alaska, spend the time and rent an RV. It is definitely the way to do it since you can go more places and travel more comfortably.<br /><br />Photos<br /><br />Feel free to peruse through the pictures. We took a lot of pictures which would make great desktop backgrounds so if you want a photo at the full size, let me know and I’ll email them to you. <br /><br />Here is a link to the photo page: http://photos.yahoo.com/eeboater <br /><br />A lot of the pictures need an explanation to go along with them. But just as a review:<br /><br />Group 1: Pictures of downtown Alaska as well as some photos of our drive to Moose Lodge on our way to Whittier where we took a 26 glacier cruise.<br /><br />Group 2: Pictures of Whittier and our 26 Glacier Cruise. This town was inaccessible by car up until 5 years ago. In 2005 they opened up a single lane railroad tunnel to the town (the tunnel used to be strictly for trains and is now shared with the cars using special electronics and timing schedules) --- The glacier tour was awesome. We saw tons of glaciers all over the place! Some of them were even calving (when big chunks fall off). The pictures with the wristwatch were actually taken at 8:45 PM when it looks like its 11:00 AM. <br /><br />Group 3: Our trip to Homers Spit --- a fishing town that was having a HUGE fishing rally. Pictures on the rocky beach are of the same town. Also, photos of us by the glacier outside of Seward. That was one of the most entertaining parts of the trip. The photos of me crossing the rocks – everyone had to do that to get to the glacier!! Lots of fun. Also, photos of us in front of the glacier put the size of that hunk of ice into perspective. This group has photos of the darkest part of the day – they are towards the bottom and it looks like the sun is rising. Literally 15 minutes before those photos were taken, it looked like it was 7:30 on a summer evening in Wisconsin.<br /><br />Group 4: Photos of our 8 hour bus tour into Denali Park. Denali Park is the park that houses Mt. McKinley. The photos of the mountain in the distance are photos of McKinley. Believe it or not, the photos are taken 45 MILES AWAY!! Its one huge mountain! We saw Grizzly Bears, Caribou, Moose, Snowshoe Hare, Red Fox (with pups), Goats, and Wolves. There are only 85 wolves in Denali (Denali is the size of Massachusetts by the way) and we saw 4!!! This group also includes photos of our Jeep Safari Tour. Since it stormed the day before, it was a lot of MUDDY FUN!!!! You can see how deep some of the “mini-ponds” were that we crossed. Aslso, there are pictures of the Alaska Transportation museum.<br /><br />Group 5: This is picture of our stop at the Iditarod Dog Racing National Headquarters where we got to ride behind an actual Iditarod Sled Dog Team. We paid 20 bucks for Tara and I to ride for about 2 minutes total. But we figured, when the heck are we going to get to ride behind sled dogs again in our lives?! Also – those dogs were FAST!!! I’d say around 20-25 mph with 4 adults in a trailer. <br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

great pix ee. I may be going next year. We are looking at a journey clear up to Barrow. Wish I had a month or more.