Illinois/Indiana Marina Decision to make-- Help

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, we are torn. We have two choices (well, more, but we've narrowed our desired marinas down to two).

the Starved Rock Marina on the Illinois river. Beautiful surroundings, lots of beaching areas, still connected to Lake Michigan for a daytrip.

Westermans Marina on Burns Waterway in Portage Indiana. Small water way with boat beaches but directly connected (no locks involved) to Lake Michigan only about a mile away.

both are comparable in price, a few minor differences but nothing big.

Starved Rock is 2.5 hours from us. Westerman's is 1.75 hours from us. So that is a difference.

Is anyone familiar with the areas, (one or both) that can give us a little clue as to what's good about them. I'm REALLY leaning toward the Starved Rock one but the extra distance and the fact that I'll have to deal with locks and some barge traffic I'm trying to decide if that's worth it.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Illinois/Indiana Marina Decision to make-- Help

I don't know what kind of a boat you have, but you better be prepared to spend the night on Lake MI if you leave from Starved Rock marina. It would be a CHORE to get to the lake and back in one day! There are what, 4 locks between there and Lake MI? Also, please note, the Chicago Ship and Sanitary Canal is at the center of a huge lawsuit between MI and IL right now, as the Silver Carp (and other invasive Asian species) are about to enter Lake Michigan through it. MI is suing to have the canal CLOSED. No more trips to Lake MI would be possible. And the real problem with barge traffic comes at the locks. You'll wait, while they go. That can ruin plans for any daytrip.

So if the #1 goal of your boating activites is reaching Lake Michigan, Starved Rock Marina is a POOR choice.

I have more specific questions and answers for you, but in short, that's my statement, above.

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, TilliamWe. We have a cruiser and plan on spending the weekends whenever possible out on the water. On days out we'd play around locally. One of the things I liked about the Illinois river locations were all the boat beaches in the area. The lake Michigan trips wouldn't be all the time if we were out to the west. As for the locks, yeah it would be a killer if they ever did really close the locks (kind of doubt they will), but then we'd have to think about changing where we slip. Deciding then which is more important. By then we'd have a little more experience with what areas are more to our liking. (we're new at this).

TilliamWe

Banned

I have never done it myself, but getting to those beach areas on that part of the Illinois River is tricky, from what I was told 5.5 years ago. I guess there is a "secondary channel" on the side side of the river, but you have to know how to get to it, or you'll run aground. I do know that right there at the Starved Rock Dam, you can see trees and other debris stuck in the middle of the river. Have you talked to any locals with extensive knowledge? The guys at the Starved Rock Yacht Club (less than 1 mile east of Starved Rock Marina) were great hosts for a weekend back in 2004. That was the only time I was ever to the area.

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

All I've really talked to was the guy from Starved Rock marina at the Chicago Boat Show yesterday, until then I was pretty much thinking of the lake michigan marina in portage. After talking to the Starved Rock guy (boy was he enthusiastic about the area) and with memories of the land area of starved rock I got really thinking about those areas. Maybe I should just re consider and go with the indiana one. It's closer anyway. That's why i asked on here because I was hoping others from the area had experiences and could tell me if they were good or not.

TilliamWe

Banned

I have heard from others, not just the very enthusiastic SRYC guys, that the area from Starved Rock Dam to Ottawa and the Fox River is a GREAT social boating atmosphere. Unfortunately, I have only spent one weekend at the SRYC, in 2004 and it was a nice time.

Hang tight, I am pretty sure there are others on this site that are familiar with the area up there. Best of luck!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

One thing to consider. If they do actually close the canal any marinas affected will soon become obsolete and other area marinas will fill up quickly. Now may be the time to get into a marina that wouldn't be affected by the canal....then if they don't close it you may find that you like another marina and move there next season.

Where do you call home? Is your goal to be close to Chicago or just within range of Lake Michigan?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Another consideration is registration of your boat.

I don't know about Indiana or Illinois, but for Michigan you are supposed to register the boat where it is used. If you slip the boat out of your home state you should probably register it in that state. So, if you live in Indiana it may be easier to keep the boat in Indiana. Check with your state and and any other states you are considering slipping your boat in to find out what you would need to do.

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

You know what? I just realized (remembered) that cute little fact this afternoon, so Indiana marinas are no longer a consideration. I live right on the Illinois border to Indiana and barely recognize the difference between the two and wasn't thinking like that. It was the closest marina sight to our home that's all I was thinking... oh well. I'm NOT re-registering the boat I JUST registered, lol.

jimini

Recruit

I have lived in the Ottawa area for over 60 years and I am a active boater... Although I have docked my boat at Straved Rock Marina in the past I no longer do so... if you think that 12 miles of river without any locks are relaxing try boating there in the summer its a traffic jam every weekend! There are few beaches and those are packed... one would be much better to go south through Straved Rock Locks and continue past Spring Valley for some very nice long sandy beaches... The water looks dirty and docking in the marina in "near still water" only adds to the problem... there are hidden stumps; underwater dock walls; and water patrols out almost all the time stopping and searching; handing out tickets; etc...

I have just purchased a 37ft cabin cruiser from a yacht company in Detroit and having it shipped across Michigan to Michigan City for summer dockage and winter storage.. I am done with the dirty foul smelling river! I want to see the bottom of my vessel not just the one inch below the waterline.. Take my advice and forget the Illinois River... forget about Illinois all together for that fact..

Stay in beautiful Lake Michigan where there is elbow room; clean water; and lots to see and cruise to... :)

Safe boating
jimini

TilliamWe

Banned

The Illinois River is a muddy, sandy river, yes. But doesn't smell in Peoria, nor all the way up to Starved Rock Yacht Club, at least not from what I personally saw and smelled. I do have little doubt that the 12 mile stretch he refers to is crowded, though.
The 70 miles from Starved Rock to Peoria is alot more wide open, the river is slower and shallower, and not very crowded at all. But I know that's not what you are interested in.

BTW, Michigan just lost their suit to close the locks, so the Illinois River still connects to Lake Michigan.

jimini

Recruit

Sorry to disappoint you but the Illinois River is a Mad House on Summer Weekends/Holidays between the locks! MOST Straved Rock Marina boaters park their vessels off channel below Buffalo Park State Park to at least have some decent rafting off.. It is obivous you haven't boated in that area for some time... For me I refused to even untie my boat on the weekends and holidays from the dock..it wasn't worth being runned over; flipped the bird; and just plain drunken people driving like idiots... stick with Lake Michigan at least you can get away from the crazy inexperienced people without having to stay in your dock to feel safe!

safe boating,
jimini

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have friends that have place out on the river. They like the area but do not care for the boating. River is always busy - currents & underwater objects. Water is dirty. Barge traffic. Lots of issues make it non enjoyable.

dan the tuna

Cadet

I grew up using Burns Ditch or Spraug (spell?) in Michigan City. Burns ditch more so. Burns ditch is great with plenty of marinas and services. You won't want to hang out in the ditch though, head out to lake michigan and go east to "Boaters Beach" right by Nipsco's warm water diischarge. Great memories from that area. Indian Dunes National lakeshore os beautiful. Plenty of beach if you want to be alone, or you can find some friends too.

I live in Seattle now and either go on Lake Washington or Puget Sound.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Take my advice and forget the Illinois River... forget about Illinois all together for that fact..

Stay in beautiful Lake Michigan where there is elbow room; clean water; and lots to see and cruise to... :)
Safe boating
jimini
OR....
If your boat is trailerable, come to beautiful Southern Illinois, the boating
capital of Illinois.:D