Illegal Immigration Costs Texans $4.7 Billion a Year

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Illegal Immigration Costs Texans $4.7 Billion a Year Finds New Study by the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR)<br />Tuesday April 5, 4:23 pm ET <br /><br /><br />WASHINGTON, April 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Mass illegal immigration is costing Texas more than $4.65 billion a year finds a new report released today by the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR). The Costs of Illegal Immigration to Texans, examines the fiscal costs being borne by the state to provide education, health care and incarceration for an illegal alien population now estimated to exceed 1.5 million.<br />Using a 1994 study published by the Urban Institute as a baseline, The Cost of Illegal Immigration to Texans looks at Census Bureau and other data to estimate the explosive growth in the size and cost of illegal immigration in the nation's second most populous state. In 2004, the annual fiscal burden of illegal immigration amounted to about $725 per Texas household headed by a native-born resident.<br /><br /><br /> Among the report's key findings:<br /> * Texas spends more than $4 billion a year to provide K-12 education for<br /> the children of illegal aliens.<br /><br /> * These children account for nearly 12 percent of the total K-12 school<br /> population.<br /><br /> * Taxpayer-funded medical outlays for health care provided to the state's<br /> illegal alien population amount to about $520 million a year.<br /><br /> * The uncompensated cost of incarcerating illegal aliens in Texas's state<br /> and county prisons amounts to at least $150 million a year.<br /><br />The costs of other programs and services provided to illegal aliens, and the impact of mass illegal immigration on the jobs and wages of Texans who have been forced to compete against illegal immigrants are not included in FAIR's study, and would probably result in still higher costs to the state and its residents.<br /><br />"In Texas, as in many other states, the phenomenon of mass illegal immigration is draining public coffers and robbing local residents of access to essential public services," observed Dan Stein, president of FAIR. "While every state and almost every community around the country is struggling to improve education and rein-in health care costs, our nation's failure to address rampant illegal immigration is compounding the problems that state and local governments face.<br /><br />"All across the country, people are waking up to the reality that illegal immigration has become an enormously expensive phenomenon paid for by workers, taxpayers and schoolchildren," Stein continued. "If anyone would ask Texans if they want to subsidize more than a million illegal aliens to the tune of $4.65 billion a year, or see their public schools, hospitals and prisons overcrowded with illegal immigrants, the answer would be a resounding 'no.' Yet federal and state policies have failed to protect Texans from that burden and have forced them and other Americans to subsidize mass illegal immigration."<br /><br />The full report is available at http://www.fairus.org. Contact: Jack Martin (202) 328-7004

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Illegal Immigration Costs Texans $4.7 Billion a Year

Yeah KB, but is anyone really listening. There's a lot of potential votes out there, for both sides. IMHO, that is the ONLY reason that this is allowed to go on.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Too bad you can't own a couple. Get that grass cut.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ya know, I just dont understand...<br /><br />An illegal alien child shows up to register for school. Why the heck is the child allowed to be registered?<br />There should be a door that says "illegals go through here". That door would lead to a bus or plane which takes them back to their own country.<br /><br />They know the kids and parents are illegals, SEND THEM BACK!!!!!!<br /><br />I just dont get it. :confused: <br /><br />Ken

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ah hell ... let 'em in .. <br /><br />they've had a hard life where they've come from.. <br /><br />we should as a nation accept all debt and trouble created by all nations and people .. <br /><br />don't be silly .. I'm single, self employeed and would love nothing more than to pay for all of it .. <br /><br />hell take everything I've got .. they deserve it more than I do.. <br /><br />not like my Grandfather didn't come over here alone on the boat from Sweden not knowing a lick of English at the age of 8 and applied for citizenship right off the boat.. <br /><br />thats far too difficult.. <br /><br />I'd just hide out and expect everyone else to support me ... <br /><br />... yea thats what I'd do..

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

They don't allow an offset for their contributions to the economy. Illegal aliens draw wages, pay rent, buy food, cigarettes, whiskey & beer and gasoline, though they don't buy insurance.<br /><br />And clothing - Ken, you have no idea the size of the garage sale market in my neighborhood alone supported almost entirely by undocumented workers. I bet they've made it possible for at least a fourth my neighbors to upgrade to the next size plasma TV or next-generation pentium processor, or whatever!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Jtexas, I agree there are many good things illegals bring to the USA.<br /><br />But I still dont get it. How has something "illegal" been accepted?<br /><br />Ken