II Drive Help

Superbee

Seaman
Hi All<br />I have a II Drive on my 1968 Mark Twain <br />(II Drive 1964-1967 1602186 THRU 2278488)<br />Motor(225 GM 327 V-8 1963-1966 1539620 THRU 2278646)<br />It's leaking oil from the bottom behind the prop i found a new o-ring and seal for the lower end, I'm a newbie to boats, I did get a book on the Drive but it does not have the II drive listed, Anyone want to help me on this Fix?<br />this is the only thing stopping me putting this boat in the water:)<br />Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: II Drive Help

Superbee, I have a II drive manual a round some where what do you need to know and I try to help---Bob

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

before removing carrier see what prop shaft rolling torque is<br />when reassembling you will need a new crush ring and set rolling torque back to original number.<br />i think that is correct will check a manual tommorow at work (its been 10 years since i serviced one of these)

Superbee

Seaman

Sounds like a rear end, i was hoping it would be an easy fix, i will take any help possable to make this an easy fix the drive is good makes no noises just leaks oil from the prop i don't want to burn it up<br />Thanks

Laddies

Banned

This sounds and probably is a over simplifcation remove the prop and hardware, drain the unit, unscrew the carrier nut, with a little luck the seal retainer will come out. Be CAREFUL most of this stuff is NLA. Its been a long time since I have seen a II unit so if you need more advice than this I see if I can find the manual. Well I got the manual so we are all set I hope if you don't have something to work as a spanner for the carrier nut, a dealer may rent you one, or a hydralic cyl. spanner may work, once the nut is removed, if the seal carrier won't come out easily, hook a slide hammer to the prop shaft and tap (beat) it out change the seal coat the carrier and nut with anti seize and reassemble, sounds like a peice of cake, I hope it is--Bob

Superbee

Seaman

it's looks to me by the specs it should pull out once the carrier nut is unscrewed i see no snap ring holding all this togather thats my concern i don't want 200 parts falling on the floor:) The problem i 'm having is that the thrust hub looks like to me it doesn't come off the back with everything else the shaft looks tapered it's in the way i can force this out but don't want to until i know kinda whats going to happen.<br />Thanks<br />
Stern%2BDrive.jpg

Laddies

Banned

The trust hub for the prop will come off the shaft, you may have to knock it loose with a hammer, there shouldn't be things flying around when you pull the carrier, just don't lose the shims if any --Bob

Superbee

Seaman

Yup nothin came out i tryed to pry the trust hub off and the whole thing came out no parts on the floor<br />just a shim, the seal will be very hard to get to<br />i need a press and puller to get anything apart the seal looks good the O-Ring was shot hard and flat<br />when i tryed to take it off it broke i install a new one i will check thursday when i go get some new oil at walmart i hope that works.<br />I'm new to boats how much do you think it will take? How far do i fill it the filler hole is on the very top?<br />Thanks<br />Guys

Laddies

Banned

I don't know if I belive this but the manual says 5.68 liters :confused:

Superbee

Seaman

it's looks like it could hold alot of oil<br />I just didn;t know if i should fill it to the brim.<br />I won't i will what the you say 5.68 Liters<br />what is that about close to 7 Quarts?

Superbee

Seaman

Well it just my luck that the O-ring was only part of the problem the seal is Leaking real bad i beleave that was the main problem before not the o-ring it looks to me that the bearings and everything need to pressed off to replace the seal?

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Superbee,<br />I have a II drive like yours. Yes the drive takes about 7qts of oil. There is no vent hole on this model so you fill the drive from the top. You fill untill the gear oil reaches the bottom of the threads. After filling, slowly lift the drive to the trailering position. This will allow trapped air pockets to rise and exit the drive. After doing this 2-3 times you will, in all liklihood, have to add some oil to the fill hole to ensure the drive is full. Good luck with the seal. By the way, most of the parts for this old guy are listed as "No longer available". I have found however, that I have been able to locate every part that I have needed.There are some truly helpfull Mercury dealers out there wiling to assist. This old drive might be big, old and heavy, but to me, it appears bullet proof and pushes my 25 footer around very well.<br />Good luck.

Superbee

Seaman

Safari,<br />I got the seal fixed i took it apart and took it in to someone local that had the tools to work on it $30 i thought was real good so far no leaky i will be taking it back out this saturday for another test run, this time i can stay out longer i havn't had any problems getting Parts if it either i even pickup the Kiekhaefer Mercury Imblem for the thing and new Mercuiser Stickers for the sides.<br />What would be a good oil to use in this??<br />Also when i trim down should this lock down?<br />Becuase i could pick it up when working on it<br />but the next it was locked down won't move unless i trim up any ideas?<br />Thanks

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Superbee,<br /><br />Good deal on the seal. By the way, those decals were the only thing I wasn't able to find.Where did you get them? I want to make my drive look as new and original as possible.<br />I use 90wt gear oil in mine with no problems. When you use the power lift for the drive always remember to have the shift lever in forward. This releases the cam actuated reverse lock dogs that are between the lower and upper unit of the drive. You can see them when the drive is in the trailering position. When you shift to reverse, the cam moves the dogs to hook onto the trim adjusting shaft preventing your drive from raising out of the water when running in reverse. I had the misfortune of raising my drive with the shift lever in reverse and I ended up breaking the cam, the cam shaft seal and one of the dogs. Then I had to pull the drive! The seal was a pain to get out but it was leaking oil, allowing water to enter my drive so I had to replace it. <br /><br />Everything went O.K. but took a long time. The local mechanics won"t work on the drive (say it's too old) so I had to do it myself. This is my first power boat and I'm not a mechanic. The guys on this board are great for helping you. DonS, Rodbolt, Tommays and others really helped me. Rabidfish was kind enough to sell me his manual and that really helped.<br />Back to the drive issue.You will be able to pick the drive up by hand if the reverse lock mechanism isn't holding. If it is stuck in the locked position, just shift to forward gear then raise it.<br /><br />Like I said, I am not a mechanic, I am just illustrating my experience with this drive. I hope every thing works out for you. Good luck.

Superbee

Seaman

I beleave when i took the boat out last when i stuck it in reverse it rose out of the water because it threw water in the boat So maybe something is not working right, i'm very new to Boats and still learning myself, there is a device that looks like it holds the stern in the up position i remove it before putting it in the water, i'm looking for a book on this stern seen one on eBay once and and missed it got out bid it won't happen again:)<br />The emblem i got from a place out in Texas they only had 1 i was on the phone for 4 hours one day looking for it, i had a list from Merc of 50 dealers i called, i got the decals from the same place they had them in stock for 10 years.<br />I bought the 90wt from walmart i was worryed about that i won't be now.<br />Right now i'm working on the engine i won't idel with water running in it, the Guys here told me the Manifolds are leaking, i hope there right i just spent $500 on new manifolds, i know one of them was in very bad shape when i took it apart i tryed to fix it the best i could but still the same problem<br />runs fine under thottle just won't idel, i pulled the intake replacing all the gaskets there, also looking for another vacuum port becuase the engine had alot of blowby i want to try to stop that a little i will rebuild the engine after this season.<br />I know what you mean about the people around here never even heard of a II drive, but i did find someone with all the tools.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Superbee,<br /><br />The manual you want to get is Mercruiser service manual Number 1.<br /><br /> The part # is 90-68648 286. There are two books in the set. The first covers engines and accessories, the second covers the drives. I don't know what device you are refering too when you say it holds the drive in the up position. Mine doesn't have anything like that.<br /><br />It sounds as though you've done a lot of work on your drive. I hope you can get it all sorted out soon. Best of luck to you. :)

Superbee

Seaman

using the info you posted here i found some on eBay<br />Volume II is coming up under that number too is that right, i need volume I and Volume II?

Superbee

Seaman

heres a pic of the device i beleave that it hold up the stern and takes pressure off the trim pump?
Trim.jpg

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Superbee,<br /><br />Yes you need both books. Check with the Ebay seller and make sure that part # is on the lower right corner of the cover. I've been burned befor trying to get the correct manuals. They should also say Book 1 of 2 and book 2 of 2. Book 2 is for the drive.<br /><br />I don't recognize that device in the pic----don't know what that is. The inverted "L" object is however the left reverse lock dog I spoke of earlier. There should be a small spring attached in the hole at the top (looks to be missing). The other end connects inside the cavity in the rear.<br />Check out www.stemtostern.com, in the drive section. You will find the schematic/exploded view of your drive. Good luck---Ken

Superbee

Seaman

I will check that out and order the parts if there gone i thought everthing was there maybe not<br />I beleave that devive just hold the stern in the up poistion takes pressure off the Trim pump and arms<br />I could be wrong