IGNITION SWITCH ?

MIKE COLLIER

Seaman Apprentice
My Tracker pontoon has been sitting idle for a couple of years and when I tried to start it the only thing that happened was the fuel gauge went to full plus. I'm thinking it's the ignition switch but I want someone else's thoughts. thanks

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Might need a little more info...make/model of the engine...serial would be good too. What happens when the key is turned on..does the motor try and start...any clicking noises.....hows the battery..new...fully charged...connections?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the fuel gauge moves, its not your ignition switch. Clean all your contacts

MIKE COLLIER

Seaman Apprentice
the motor is a 2005 mercury, 60 hp, four stroke, SN1B063517.............boat is 2005 Tracker Fishing Barge.................something more, the tilt switch has no effect and it should go with the ignition switch off..........the battery is full charged..........that's what I first thought was the problem.........thanks.........Mike

MIKE COLLIER

Seaman Apprentice
I stopped before I was through................I removed and reinstalled the battery connections...............when the switch is placed in the on position only the fuel gauge moves............."start" nothing happens...............fuel gauge shows full plus..........it pegs...............maybe I'm through this time

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take a wire brush or file and give the connections at the battery a good cleaning. The metal should be shiny. Do the other boat accessories work? Stereo/horn/etc.?